6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2013 10:53 AM by jwlaub

How to select and drag object without resizing

jwlaub

I have a layout object that is .083 in in width and .347 in in height. It is a rectangle with no fill and only three borders, the left border turned off. When I try to drag the object after selecting it, FMP tries to resize the object rather than moving it. Is there a way to drag such an object without resizing it?

• 1. Re: How to select and drag object without resizing
          erolst

You can also move an object by using the arrow keys, or by entering the new coordinates into the fields in Inspector > Position. Note that clicking on the unit indicator there will rotate between in, cm, and px, where the last one may be better suited for layout work.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to select and drag object without resizing
            jwlaub

Thanks for the help.  I am currently using the arrow keys, but it is very slow to move the object as it only moves one pixel at a time.  Maybe there is a way to speed up the movement with the arrow keys?

• 3. Re: How to select and drag object without resizing
              erolst

The arrow keys are intended for precision movement, and you can simply keep the key pressed. How large is your display? (And what's wrong with entering coordinates?)

Edit: You could create a utility object (like a rectangle), place it near the other object, select both, then drag the rectangle until your field is positioned, and finally get rid of the rectangle.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to select and drag object without resizing
                jwlaub

The coordinates would be okay as you suggest.  I have decided to just cut the object and then paste it close to the final location followed by using the arrow keys.  My curiosity continues, however, as I can select and move larger objects, and objects that have full boundries.  Perhaps this is just a quirk, and an academic interest.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: How to select and drag object without resizing
                  erolst

I assume you are using FM 12, where the built-in themes display a rather large number of such quirks; in this case it would be that objects seem to have a minimum size that you can only get below by specifying the size numerically; any attempt to change the size by dragging the object will result in an inescapable enlargement to said minimum size. This specific behaviour probably has to do with the (non-editable) field margins, and it vanishes if you remove the theme styles from the object.

Hopefully this satisfies your academic interest

• 6. Re: How to select and drag object without resizing
                    jwlaub

That makes perfect sense as the object seems to enlarge to a specific size as you indicate.  This completely clears up my question, and I thank you for it.