9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2013 3:48 PM by Malcolm

Editing Value List of Check Boxes

mrosenhek

This might be hard to explain.

Value list was created long ago. I need to change the values, but want to keep the applicable boxes checked. Can't seem do this as when I change the values, all the checks are removed. Does anybody have a suggestion how to edit a value list and retain the selected check boxes that were initially selected in each record.

For example

Current value list

A

B

C

I want to change to

but keep the corresponding boxes checked.

Takers? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Editing Value List of Check Boxes
          erolst

Create a value list "1¶2¶3". Duplicate your field on the layout. Format the second instance with the new value list. Put one above the other (or side by side), to create the illusion of a single field.

Now disallow field entry for the first instance: no more A, B or C for new records, only 1, 2 or 3. Values in old records appear as checks in the first field instance.

• 2. Re: Editing Value List of Check Boxes
            mrosenhek

If only I could

Trouble is, this is an old database that somebody else created. The problem is that the CURRENT field values are used in some stupid calcualtions and I just am not given the budget to make a bunch of changes (figutrng this crap out is time consuming). They may rebuidl and that is why I am doing this "interim" solution". All for just one print out!

But your idea is a good one if I had that flexibility. This databse is like a rat's nest, multipple files and hacked together in the last century.

• 3. Re: Editing Value List of Check Boxes
              erolst

Yeah, I know, it's always the previous developer who was stuck in the 19th century …

But I'm not sure I understand your objection – or your goal, for that matter. Do you want to change the field values of the field in the existing records? Do you want to change the value list that is used in the field formatting on a layout?

• 4. Re: Editing Value List of Check Boxes
                flybynight

So… are you wanting to keep the actual values the same (for the calculations that use the previous value list), but only change what is displayed to the user? If so, that's actually pretty easy.

I use this technique a lot when I want more flexibility over the formatting than a standard set of check box or radio buttons will not give me what I want on my layout.

Create a separate value list for each value in your current value list. That is, one for "A" - one for "B" - and one for "C" - etc. Now on your layout, make 3 instances of the same field, format them all as checkboxes, but assign each one of the separate value lists. Grab the lower right handle of the field and shrink it to the left, so that the label doesn't show - only the checkbox itself. Now just make your own text labels next to the checkbox for the updated values - your "new" value list of "1" - "2" - "3" - etc.

The appearance to the user is that they are checking 1, 2, 3, etc… but they are actually putting in the old values of the field. So all of your calcs will continue to work just fine.

Hope that helps!

-Shawn

• 5. Re: Editing Value List of Check Boxes
                  mrosenhek

I think this perosn did what he could with what he had. It was built eons ago (FM3) and converted to FM 12

The value list needs to be changed but when one changes the values; it screws up othre functions of the database, AND loses the values that were already created becauaee they are displayed as check boxes. SO yes, I want to change the value of the existing value list and keep that list applied to the field.

I'll figure out another work around for now. I hope they will just rebuild.

Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: Editing Value List of Check Boxes
                    mrosenhek

Thanks for your help but it is more complicated because old records will have old value and new ones will have the new and  they all need to be the same. It's not so much trying to "mask" what the user sees, I would not care if they see different value from what they are used to.

But I think I will use a differnt apporach to the actual issue. Not so elllogent but will work and take less time.

• 7. Re: Editing Value List of Check Boxes
                      flybynight

OK, guess I'm not understanding all of the requirements. The method I described would have all of the actuall values the same. If you still need to display the old values for old records, you could combine it with 2 layers of labels and conditional formatting to hide the inappropriate set of labels based on a record ID (if you are using sequential IDs, not UUID) or a creation date/timestamp, if you have a set point where records older/newer than date X should show the old/new values.

Good luck in whatever solution you come up with!

-Shawn

• 8. Re: Editing Value List of Check Boxes
                        keywords

I am doing this "interim" solution". All for just one print out!

If this is really just for a single printout, why not follow erolst's initial suggestion, but add an extra calc field for the report to display the old values: A = 1, B = 2, etc.

• 9. Re: Editing Value List of Check Boxes
                          Malcolm

Value list was created long ago. I need to change the values, but want to keep the applicable boxes checked. Can't seem do this as when I change the values, all the checks are removed.. Does anybody have a suggestion how to edit a value list and retain the selected check boxes that were initially selected in each record.

To do that you need to replace the original values with the corresponding new values.

Given three records with an id and a label

id - label

1 - A

2 - B

3 - C

If your old value list was created from the label field "A B C" and you want it to change to the ID field "1 2 3" then you need to change A to 1, B to 2 and C to 3

Malcolm