7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2013 8:58 PM by savingprivatedata

Need help migrating users' favorites from FM11 to FM12

savingprivatedata

We are about to migrate all of our users from Filemaker 11 to Filemaker 12. Most will be using Pro.

1) Is it possible to push a script that will somehow save the user's preferences and settings from 11 to 12?

When the users first open FM12, I'd like them to see their favorites on the QuickStart menu.

2) I'd also like the script to recreate their RECENT FILES to a new list with the same databases listed (with the new server's link).
      EXAMPLE (for the RECENT FILES list);

BEFORE the migration = WIDGETS_DB (11Server)

AFTER the migration = WIDGETS_DB (12Server)

I know it doesn't make sense to have a recent files link to a file that hasn't actually been opened (link to new version) however, we're trying to simplify this migration for the users as much as possible. The better experience they have, the more support we get for using Filemaker).

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Need help migrating users' favorites from FM11 to FM12
          LyndsayHowarth

"Recent files" is a function of opening the file.

What you want to migrate is "Favourites". As far as I know this is not migratable... (Happy to be disproven)

You could have a file that you send to people which potentially has a script in it to open a file and add it to favourites....

OR you could send the a link to the database in an email and once open it becomes a "recent" file..

- Lyndsay

• 2. Re: Need help migrating users' favorites from FM11 to FM12
            savingprivatedata

Thanks, Lyndsay.
            I do want to migrate the users' favorites en masse (going to each machine is too much).
            However, I also want to migrate the links in their recent files list to display the same databases with the new server's ID instead of the old one.

I have found some registry settings that contain this information so I could potentially push out a script that'll change the user's registry settings, but I don't know if there are other places where this information is stored. 

Here is what I've found so far;

HKCU > Software > Filemaker > 11.0A

and

HKCU > Software > Filemaker > 12.0A

or

HKU > (FIND THE RIGHT USER) > Software > Filemaker > 11.0A

and

HKU > (FIND THE RIGHT USER) > Software > Filemaker > 12.0A

Sub-hives;

FavHostInfo

Favorites

Recent File List

Trying to determine  if anyone else has had to deal with this.
            Thanks!

• 3. Re: Need help migrating users' favorites from FM11 to FM12
              mikebeargie

I have not personally done this, but looking at those registry keys, you could probably write a REG command line batch file to copy keys from one location to the other.

This forum post might help a bit:

http://forum.sysinternals.com/copy-registry-keys_topic13303.html

The other thing to consider though, is if those keys point towards 11 servers (IE if a user was accessing a few servers, and only one was converted), then the entry will not work.

If that batch file is successful (and context free), then you could theoretically run it on every user's machine to perform the migration.

I would try it manually first to see if copying the keys works (maybe reboot after the copy to make sure). Then see if you can find someone that still remembers how to write batch files.

• 4. Re: Need help migrating users' favorites from FM11 to FM12
                savingprivatedata

Thanks, Mike.
                Yes, I can push the settings above, to the users.  We use active directory.
                I was wondering if anyone here knows of any other places where this info is stored, though.  I don't want to take a chance of changing the registry settings, without knowing all of the places that hold this info.

I was hoping that there was an official Filemaker answer to this question, rather than a registry settings workaround.

Thanks again, Mike!  I appreciate  your feedback!

• 5. Re: Need help migrating users' favorites from FM11 to FM12
                  mikebeargie

I'm not sure you'll get "official" filemaker answers here on technet, as this is more of a community forum.

You can always try giving Filemaker tech support a call. It seems like you have a big enough user base that you might benefit from their yearly support subscription.

I don't know of any settings stored outside the registry, it makes sense that the registry would be where those user-specific types of prefs are stored.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Need help migrating users' favorites from FM11 to FM12
                    savingprivatedata

Looks like the registry settings are the only place to change this information;

HKCU > Software > Filemaker > 11.0A

and

HKCU > Software > Filemaker > 12.0A

or

HKU > (FIND THE RIGHT USER) > Software > Filemaker > 11.0A

and

HKU > (FIND THE RIGHT USER) > Software > Filemaker > 12.0A

Sub-hives;

FavHostInfo

Favorites

Recent File List

• 7. Re: Need help migrating users' favorites from FM11 to FM12
                      savingprivatedata

Thanks for all of the feedback, Mike!  I truly appreciate it!

Thank  you!

Steve