4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2013 6:24 AM by maximums

Auto Start ... windows updates & order of closing

maximums

Hi all

I've been dealing with an IT fellow who is reluctant to discuss/share anything to do with his boxes and the Windows Server environment. I also maintain their enterprise level FileMaker Server and associated files. I now have the core file demonstrating indexing problems as of some time 12/9. Cooincidentally, after poking around, I discovered a Windows Update was installed.

I'm hoping somebody can point me to some reference material, having already spent hours trying to find something with the answers, that defines how automatic updates on Windows Server 2008 are managed, ie. how are services stopped? Is there an order services are stopped? Is it always clean, ie. does as described on the box?

Everything I've read so far has been opinion, and the general opinion is that updates on Windows should not be automatic, and I've based my advice on respected opinion. Now I'm looking for more info to understand the process so that when I yet again advise that automatic updates should not be on, I have the ammunition, ie. the facts, to support my advice or at the very least offer the information so that the client can make an informed decision.

Additionally, assuming that the shut down last week wasn't "clean", is it reasonable to suspect it was the update that caused the corrupted indexes?

Thanks peoples

Cheers

Linda

• 1. Re: Auto Start ... windows updates & order of closing
          keywords

I suspect your assumptions so far are sound. If you haven't done so already I suggest you download the Server Configuration Guide from the FileMaker website and study it closely; that should give you the ammunition you need.

In the section 2: Windows setup, you will find the following:

Automatic Updates:   Consider turning Automatic Updates OFF or to “Download Updates for me, but let me choose when to install them.” Turning off Automatic Updates stops the automatic reboot and the network traffic that can be generated for a large update. Choosing to only Download Updates prevents the automatic reboot but does not protect against large network traffic due to a significant update download.

• 2. Re: Auto Start ... windows updates & order of closing
            Mike_Mitchell

Linda -

IT folks who don't know FileMaker are notorious for simply shutting down all services from the OS instead of using the Admin Console to stop the databases first. (Understandable; we already said they "don't know FileMaker".) The problem with doing that is when clients are connected. If there's a client connected and the service is stopped without that client properly disconnecting, then any changes not committed will be lost (it's like a forced disconnect). Worse, if a client's changes are in the process of being committed, you can very well end up with index corruption. I've seen it many times.

So, short answer: Yes, a shutdown from the OS is entirely likely as a suspect for corrupted indexes.

HTH

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Auto Start ... windows updates & order of closing
              wimdecorte

maximums wrote:

I'm hoping somebody can point me to some reference material, having already spent hours trying to find something with the answers, that defines how automatic updates on Windows Server 2008 are managed, ie. how are services stopped? Is there an order services are stopped? Is it always clean, ie. does as described on the box?

In all decent IT environments these things are managed *manually* in tandem with the specific IT owner of the solution (you).

Windows updates never get installed automatically.  A maintenance window is set, the IT owner shuts down all the processes they own so that the updates can be installed without interfering with the core role of the server.  After the updates are installed the IT owner restarts FMS and does a quick health check to make sure everything still works.

Yes, that's a lot of works and coordination - which is why normally these things are done every quarter or so with all updates bundled.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Auto Start ... windows updates & order of closing
                maximums

This is great feed back. Thank you.

I've been able to inconclusively demonstrate that the OS was shut down and our file set with it. Together with your feed back and the info I have been able to find, hopefully the technician will take some advice when we meet with him tomorrow. In the mean time I'm still trying to rebuild indices with some success. I say some success, because I still have an issue in a file where an unindexed search on a Count ( otherTable::indexed field) isn't producing any results when the file is hosted by FMSA, but yeilds the expected results when opened directly by FM client when not hosted?

I think it's time to pack it in for tonight. Hopefully some sleep will give me clarity!

again, thanks people for your feedback.

Cheers

Linda