2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2013 12:23 PM by Stephen Huston

Converting FileMaker 3 solution built on runtimes

MikeMcErlean

I've got an opportunity to convert/rebuild a system that's been in action since FileMaker 3, build on networked FileMaker runtimes(!). It's still operating on Windows XP, but the company is looking to upgrade their hardware, so will also need to upgrade FileMaker,

I'm leaning towards a rewrite, but I'd like to open the files so I can be sure to capture all the existing functionality. I'm a Mac guy, so I'll need to get some hardware and software to get started. Any reccommendations?

Thanks,

Mike

• 1. Re: Converting FileMaker 3 solution built on runtimes
          RubenVanDenBoogaard

Hi Mike,

I have build a new system a few years ago based on a FM 3 system.

I first converted the FM 3 files to FM 4.1 and then to FM 6 and then to FM 9

I have a OSX 10.6.8 MBP so FM 4 does not run on it, but I could run it in Parallels and since FM 6 does run on 10.6 I could

do the rest in OSX

I ran the files through the Filereference fixer of MetadataMagic between FM 6 and 9 to fix the file reference clutter in those old files.

If you want to rewrite this is not necessary, but if you want to base the new version on the old version this is very much recommended!

If you want/have to transfer the old data to your new system after the new system is ready, you have to convert the old datafiles once more

to FM 12, If you keep the same field names in your new solution, you can write a script to import the old data into your new solution, if you have

to transform the data for your new system, you could make a file to import the old data and transform it to the new system and have the new

system import the data from that file, if you only need to make some simple transformations, you can also do those in your import script.

Hope that helps,

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

ruben@infomatics.nl

• 2. Re: Converting FileMaker 3 solution built on runtimes
            Stephen Huston

You are going to need to run the files through FP7 on the way to conversion to FMP12. FOr that, I recommend either installing on a machine with both FileMaker Pro 11 and FileMaker Pro 12 installed.

I keep one Mac running  OSX 10.6.8 because it is the only OSX version  which will open FileMaker 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 -- lets me work with just about anything I've worked on in the last decade.

But that OSXrev will probably not work for ongoing stuff when the next FMP version release comes along.