3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2013 1:00 AM by stefan_s

Transparency in icons

hbecerra

I bought a set of icons and Layouts called Theme Library, that its really nice, some of the icons have an orientation different that desired so I copied the icon into a lots of painting and graphics programs in MacOS and after just rotating or fliping vertical or horizontal, when pasting the icon back in FM,it gets a white square box filling the previously transparent background, is there any special software to handle icons in MacOS or a technique to avoid such behavior ?

• 1. Re: Transparency in icons
          chefportal

If you [copy] and [paste] from drawing program into FileMaker it will not retain transparency. If you save you icon for web in drawing program (being sure to save as transparent) and insert picture in filemaker the transparency will be retained. This is not just a FileMaker problem it also happens in other drawing programs.

"when you save for web you need PNG or GIF format as JPG does not support transparency"

• 2. Re: Transparency in icons
            flybynight

I could also depend on what graphics program you are using. Does that program support transparency? And what format does it use when you copy something to the clipboard? Some programs let you set that. If that doesn't work, like chefportal said, save the file in a format that does support transparency. I use .png for all of my graphics that I have to bring into FM… but also try to keep this to a minimum, and know that native objects will almost always perform faster than imported graphics. But sometimes, you just can't easily do what you can with imported graphics.

If FileMaker ever added an Illustrator-style pen tool that could draw shapes and bézier curves… whoa!

Laters,

-Shawn

• 3. Re: Transparency in icons
              stefan_s

Hi "hbecerra",

For the usage you describe I would definitely use Acorn.

It's a small program with lots of good features.

It's small, lightweight and fast and handles transparencies quite well.

Best picture format to be saving in is .png, if you want to get rid of that white square. Works in both Mac and Windows.

you can find it here:

http://flyingmeat.com/acorn

or in the Mac App store

HTH

__

Stefan Schutt, Mouse Up, Finland

hbecerra <noreply@filemaker.com> kirjoitti 18.9.2013 kello 6.30:

I bought a set of icons and Layouts called Theme Library, that its really nice, some of the icons have an orientation different that desired so I copied the icon into a lots of painting and graphics programs in MacOS and after just rotating or fliping vertical or horizontal, when pasting the icon back in FM,it gets a white square box filling the previously transparent background, is there any special software to handle icons in MacOS or a technique to avoid such behavio