8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2017 6:52 AM by sastickf

Windows 8 List view and scrolling

CarlSchwarz

I have a layout in list view and when I go to scroll it it jumps. I can scroll a tiny bit but when I go to scroll too far down it jumps to the top.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is a layout in list view compatable with touch scrolling in Windows 8?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Windows 8 List view and scrolling
          CarlSchwarz

Anyone else tried doing touch scrolling in list view on Windows 8?  Does it work for you?

I'm making a kiosk mode product.

Thanks.

• 2. Re: Windows 8 List view and scrolling
            CarlSchwarz

I have done some testing and found that if all records are being shown then the touch scrolling works fine.  After I have performed a find and I'm viewing a subset of records, sorted or unsorted then the touch scrolling does not work and the list will jump rather than scroll.

• 3. Re: Windows 8 List view and scrolling
              CarlSchwarz

Since no-one else has any ideas then I reckon I only have one option.

I'll have to make a new table which contains the only the records I want to display and view that in list view.  That way I won't be showing a sub-set of records and I can still get the fast and nice touch scrolling.  That should be achievable in my case.

This new table will only contain only a key back to the main table and I'll show the related info. It will be very fast to create the subset of records required.

I hope filemaker fixes this!

• 4. Re: Windows 8 List view and scrolling
                sastickf

Hello Carl,

I know this is an old thread, but a client reminded me of his frustration of not being able to scroll in the list view on his Windows 8.1 machine last night.  (He can scroll the records in a portal, however.)  I was wondering if you have come up with any more workarounds to this issue (or discovered a resolution)?

Thank you,

Sarah

• 5. Re: Windows 8 List view and scrolling
                  philmodjunk

The original issue was in using a touch screen to scroll through the records. Is that the case for you?

and with what version of FileMaker?

• 6. Re: Windows 8 List view and scrolling
                    sastickf

Yes, that is the case.  This is a Windows 8.1 touch screen laptop and the issue occurs on layouts based on the list view with a found set of records.  It is a runtime created with FileMaker 15, but the same behavior existed in the runtime created with FileMaker 14.  (I know runtimes are deprecated, I am in the process of rewriting it to not be a runtime solution.)  There is no response in scrolling the records when you swipe up or down on the screen... it is the users biggest frustration with my program!!!

He can manually swipe up or down to scroll through records in the portals.

• 7. Re: Windows 8 List view and scrolling
                      CarlSchwarz

Hi no sorry I didn't.  I also did some touch drag and drop portals with FileMaker 14 and containers in the portals and I couldn't find a pattern to the behaviour at all.  Sometimes it would allow the container to be picked up and other times it wouldn't.  FileMaker Pro is not touch optimised.  I haven't tried any newer versions of FileMaker, I was hoping that it was getting better since Windows tablets are a good use-case for FileMaker.

• 8. Re: Windows 8 List view and scrolling
                        sastickf

Thank you for your response & help Carl.  I'm surprised that this hasn't been addressed / fixed.  I think I will check and see if it has been reported as an issue and post it if not.  Until then, I may work with web viewers and your idea of doing a shadow table with a subset of the records.