5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2013 4:39 AM by erolst

Problem about a particular case of repeating fields exercise

paolozam

Hello,

I have a problem with multiple fields.

Particularly I did have to convert a big group of field in an unique repeating field whit its repetitions that coincide with the old fields. However the problem consists in the fact that those old fields were - each one -related to a lot of formats; so now I have to link each repetition with these formats.

Therefore I'd like to ask if there is a funcition in filemaker that allows to link automatically each repetition with these formats

Thanks

Paolo Zammitti

• 1. Re: Problem about a particular case of repeating fields exercise
          erolst

Ciao Paolo –

are you saying that you want to combine a number of "old" fields into one "new" repeating field? If so, why?

• 2. Re: Problem about a particular case of repeating fields exercise
            wimdecorte

You can not use individual instances of a repeating field in different relationships.  Repeating fields certainly have their place but your scenario sounds strange.  Do reply to erolst and expand on what you have in mind.

• 3. Re: Problem about a particular case of repeating fields exercise
              paolozam

Right!

Sorry, I know that it sounds very strange, but I had try to semplify the topic of my problem.

My team has to redefine the structure of a program about the management of more languages.

The old structure consisted in labels, each one with own repeating field that had each repetiotion related to each language.

Now we are going to create an unique global repeating field that has each repetition related to each old label; while the choice of the language is managed by a flag when you open the program.

Nevertheless obviously each label (more than 2000) is related to a lot of different formats (about 180), so we should link manually each repetition to its specified group of formats.

Therefore I need a way to make more efficient this last relationship process.

I hope to explain more effectively my situation.

Thanks for your interest in my problem

Paolo Zammitti

• 4. Re: Problem about a particular case of repeating fields exercise
                paolozam

Sorry, I know that it sounds very strange, but I had try to semplify the topic of my problem.

My team has to redefine the structure of a program about the management of more languages.

The old structure consisted in labels, each one with own repeating field that had each repetiotion related to each language.

Now we are going to create an unique global repeating field that has each repetition related to each old label; while the choice of the language is managed by a flag when you open the program.

Nevertheless obviously each label (more than 2000) is related to a lot of different formats (about 180), so we should link manually each repetition to its specified group of formats.

Therefore I need a way to make more efficient this last relationship process.

I hope to explain more effectively my situation.

Thanks for your interest in my problem

Paolo Zammitti

• 5. Re: Problem about a particular case of repeating fields exercise
                  erolst

Don't take this the wrong way, but from your description you're about to make a bad structure even worse. As Wim said: Repeating fields have their place, but this is not one of them.

A proper, indefinitely flexible structure would probably involve the following tables, where each record is exactly what the name implies:

Labels --> LabelsInLanguage <--- Languages

If this …

obviously each label (more than 2000) is related to a lot of different formats (about 180)

… means diverse grammatical forms, they fit nicely into the above scheme by simple extension:

Labels --> LabelForms ---> LabelFormsInLanguage <--- Languages (and probably a Forms table that would be mixed into LabelForms – which is difficult for me to illustrate here).

This lets you very easily do things with your data that, when using repeating fields, are either impossible or take a ridiculous amount of work to implement.

If you need assistance with converting your existing structure, or have other requirements, don't hesitate to ask.