9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2013 8:09 PM by mikebeargie

FMP12 vs new Microsoft Office 2013

mark_b

Hello all,

I have a customer who just called me stating that their FMP12 solution that has been working fine now hangs when they try to create either an Excel or PDF document. They just upgraded to the latest Microsoft Office 2013 version. Has anyone seen this problem? Better yet, does anyone have a solution? Does there need to be an upgrade to FMP12?

Thanks,

Mark

• 1. Re: FMP12 vs new Microsoft Office 2013
          mark_b

An update - after speaking with the customer again, they don't have Office 2013, they went with the Office 365 (cloud) version.  I am guessing that FMP can't call Excel with the 365 version.

Mark

• 2. Re: FMP12 vs new Microsoft Office 2013
            mark_b

Yet another update - Filemaker is successfully creating the Excel and PDF files.  (The client's desktop was so cluttered, she didn't see the new files.)   The problem is it is failing with the "Send Mail" script step.  Apparently Office 365 Outlook doesn't respond to the Filemaker call as it did with older versions of Outlook.  Still looking for help with this, but the focus has now changed to Send Mail not working.

Thanks, Mark

• 3. Re: FMP12 vs new Microsoft Office 2013
              RonSmithMD

From the perspective of a mail host provider, Microsoft has broken their email application every time they have ever released an update. That is why this doesn't surprise me. But my guess is that there is a port issue here.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

• 4. Re: FMP12 vs new Microsoft Office 2013
                PSI

Mark,

I have no problem sending mail from FM 12 v4 to Outlook 2013 on win 7. Send mail without dialog displays the email in a second. w/dialog i get the standard security dialog asking me to allow I am using the desktop version.

Maybe Ron is referring to the Mac version? but I have been using outlook through the past 3 or 4 versions and haven't had any problems with FMP sending email.

John Morina

Pueblo System, Inc.

CCQ-FM, Inc.

• 5. Re: FMP12 vs new Microsoft Office 2013
                  RonSmithMD

No, I was speaking as the postmaster for PMBx.net, which is a secure mail service that I've hosted for over a dozen years now. It seems that every time Outlook gets 'improved' in a new version, MS messes up and I get dozens of support issues from my mail users. These are Windows users, not Mac users.

I'm not surprised that John hasn't had problems though with Windows sending and others have. My experience with the email support of those Windows users with Outlook has mirrored that here with Filemaker and Outlook.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

• 6. Re: FMP12 vs new Microsoft Office 2013
                    jormond

The send mail step doesn't work with browser based email protocols that I've seen so far.  Even when you have the default mailto: set for it.  Unless someone has figure out a way to get it to work.

You should be able to send the email via SMTP directly from FM. If you are using IMAP settings, the sent mail should even show up in the sent folder.

• 7. Re: FMP12 vs new Microsoft Office 2013
                      alex

Dear Joshua,

I tried to send a mail via FMP mail server via offcie 365. I used two settings:

Outgoing SMTP server : smtp.office365.com

Port : 587

Connection encryption : TLS

Authentication : Plain password

User Name : email address

User ID : password

Outgoing SMTP server : smtp.office365.com

Port : 994

Connection encryption : SSL

Authentication : Plain password

User Name : email address

User ID : password

None of them are working can you please help!!

• 8. Re: FMP12 vs new Microsoft Office 2013
                        ch0c0halic

These setting work for me.

Port:                         465

Connection Encryption:     SSL

Authentication:               Plain Password

Your email systems admin (whoever set up the smtp.office365.com email server) should be able to tell you what port and encryption method you should use.

• 9. Re: FMP12 vs new Microsoft Office 2013
                          mikebeargie

And here I thought this was going to be a debate of Filemaker vs. the latest Access release...