2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2013 12:39 PM by liyangao

How come the portal is not showing the related records?

liyangao

I have a database set up as in the following.

I have a participant table, which is connected to 6-month visits and annual visits table with 1-m relationships. I added a batch table to keep track of the examination data export for housekeeping purpose. For each batchID, it has a start date and an end date. Any 6-month visit or annual visit occured between the start date and the end date of a batch will have examination data exported in the same batch with UPS tracking number. I wrote a script to fill in the batchid field in the 6-month visit and annual visit records. Since FM does not allow cycles within the realtionship graph, FM created a table occurrence Batch 2 to be linked to Annual visit table as 1-m while table Batch is linked to 6-month visit table. Due to different examinations involved at 6-month visit and annual visit, they are seperated.

Here comes my problem. I added two portals on the batch layout to show the 6-month visits and annual visits included in the batch. The portal to show 6-month visits in the batch works alright, which is linked to the Batch table in the relationship graph. But the portal to show annual visits included in the batch was empty, which is linked to the table occurrence Batch 2 by BatchID in the relationship graph. What happened? I went to the annual visit layout and I can see the field BatchID from the Batch 2 table but not the BatchID from the Batch table.

What went wrong and how do I solve the problem? I may have some gap in understanding multiple table occurrence in the relationship graph.

Thank you very much for your input and responses!

Liyan

• 1. Re: How come the portal is not showing the related records?
          Stephen Huston

Check your relationship graph for the exact TOs which are linked for the results you need, then go to your layout and verify these things:

1. Your base TO for the layout is the correct TO from your graph which supports both portal relationships
          2. Your portals each reference the correct TO for the related TOs from the base TO of the layout.

The problem you describe is usually the result of one or both of the portal TOs not being in the correct relation to the layout's base-TO for the related records to appear.

• The fact that one of the portals works and the other doesn't, indicates that the portal TO that is not working is probably based on the wrong TO from the relationship graph.

Also verify that the fields on the portal are pointing to the same TO as the portal itself. Mixing portals with other TO's related fields (usually from changing the portal TO) can cause the fields to quit displaying until they are also repointed or recreated on the updated portal.

• 2. Re: How come the portal is not showing the related records?
            liyangao

Stephen,

Thank you very much for the pointers. I have corrected the problem and it is showing both portals beautifully.

Thanks,

Liyan