8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2013 12:43 PM by vcirilli

Has anyone ever streamed video with IWP?

vcirilli

Has anyone ever streamed video with IWP successfully on OSX or Windows on any browswer?

If so, would you be willing to share how you got it to work.

Thanks

Vincent

• 1. Re: Has anyone ever streamed video with IWP?
          steve_ssh

Hello Vincent,

A while back, a number of us were working together on the topic of streaming video with IWP.

The thread is here:  https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/117297

It is a long thread, but it might be worth checking out so that you may learn about the issues that we encountered and tried to overcome (fortunately with some success).

As I recall, the main points that I took away from that thread are as follows:

- Container fields with interactive content work fine via IWP when the browser is within the same local network as the FM server machine.

- Container fields with interactive content do not work via IWP when the browser is outside of the local network as the FM server machine.

- We came up with a workaround that helps make the interactive container fields also work when accessed outside of the FM server local network (via IWP).

- Though most modern browsers can display/play the IWP interactive container content, not all browsers will actually stream video.  In some cases, the browser will download the entire media file before begining any playback.  As I recall, this is the case with Internet Explorer.

Hope this helps, and kind regards,

-steve

• 2. Re: Has anyone ever streamed video with IWP?
            vcirilli

Steve,

Wow that was long but well worth it.

I just gave the workaround a quick try and it looks good.

Thanks so much for passing that along!

Vincent

• 3. Re: Has anyone ever streamed video with IWP?
              steve_ssh

Hi Vincent,

I'm so very glad that this helped.  Thanks for the update.

Very best,

-steve

• 4. Re: Has anyone ever streamed video with IWP?
                vcirilli

A little bit more on this regarding the Custom Function workaround.

I have the clients DB hosted on two different hosting services right now until they decide who they like.

What's interesting is:

I used Technique 1 on both and it only worked on one of the services.

On the not working service I get the download link, but not the QuickTime player.

I will try Technique 2 next and see how that goes.

• 5. Re: Has anyone ever streamed video with IWP?
                  steve_ssh

Hello Vincent,

Is it the exact same source FM file that was uploaded to each of the two host services?

Or, did you modify two separate files each of which was already being hosted?

Or something else?

Kind regards,

-steve

• 6. Re: Has anyone ever streamed video with IWP?
                    vcirilli

I downloaded the working DB from host 1 and uploaded it to host 2.

Still only get the links in the container field.

It must be a server side setting,

One difference is, the working host uses the FMS admin console to manage the client DBs.

The other uses a custom web page for DB management.

When I try Technique 2 on the none working host I get  "+s+" as a link in the target box.

Clicking it send you back to the IWP home page.

Vincent

• 7. Re: Has anyone ever streamed video with IWP?
                      steve_ssh

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for the update.   The most plausible explanation does seem to be that the host where the streaming does not work is doing something to disable the streaming of container content.

Thank you for confirming that you tried the exact same working file -- my initial hunch was that there was some difference between the two uploaded files.

Sorry to hear that it is not working everywhere.  If you get any new insights into what is going awry, I'd love to hear them.

Thank you & best,

-steve

• 8. Re: Has anyone ever streamed video with IWP?
                        vcirilli

Update.

So it turns out the workaround works on Mac with Safari but not on a PC with Chrome & FireFox using .mov files.

We tried loading .wmv files which then worked on the PC side but on Safari we needed to install FlipForMac, which worked.

Unfortunately the clients also want access via FM_GO.  Guess what, .wmv no go on iOS.