4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2013 5:38 PM by Stephen Huston

Problems with receipt printer.

domiller

I'm trying to get Filemaker to work with a roll-paper receipt printer (specifically an Epson TM-U220PD). I have things mostly working, but I am having issues with character spacing. The printer prints 40 characters per line (monospaced). I set up my report using Courier New, so it *should* mimic the behavior of the printer. However, somewhere along the line (Filemaker->Windows->Printer), it appears to be dropping spaces on lines with fields. If I put in a simple text string, it prints exactly as I would expect. And, in fact, the print preview looks correct. But when the receipt prints, things move to the left and sometimes even overprint. Am I missing something obvious? Something subtle? Does Filemaker just not like monospaced printers? Any help would be appreciated. I have attached images of the preview and actual receipt if they will help any.

• 1. Re: Problems with receipt printer.
          hbecerra

I am not sure whats your problem is but I would recomend some tips.

1. What driver are you using ? (I assume you are using windows) select Generic Text instead of epson drivers (that try to handle text as grapichs instead of "raw" text)

2. Move the DIPswich in the 2nd line to print 42 chars per line instead of 40 (read manual please)

3. Use (Courier 10) as the font

Are you using Parallel ? USB ? or Serial interfase ?

HB

• 2. Re: Problems with receipt printer.
            domiller

Maybe a slight variation in printers, but DIPswitch 2 on mine is 40bytes vs 4K bytes of buffer (and doesn't seem to affect anything).

I am using the generic text driver, as the EPSON drivers confuse things even more.

I am using Courier New 10 as the font (as windows 8 apparently doesn't have courier).  That should work the same way.

I'm actually using a network connection to an HP JetDirect which then talks parallel to the printer.  I'm doing development for an end user.  They will have them connected parallel to desktop machines.

Oh, if I type the receipt into a text file and print from the command prompt (after mapping LPT1 to the appropriate printer), it prints exactly as I want it, so I don't think it's a hardware or even a windows issue.

• 3. Re: Problems with receipt printer.
              keywords

I suggest you set up you print output using tabs instead of spaces to get alignment working correctly. You can use right aligned tabs in top half and decimal point aligned tabs in the bottom half.

• 4. Re: Problems with receipt printer.
                Stephen Huston

domiller wrote, in part:

I am using the generic text driver, as the EPSON drivers confuse things even more.

I am using Courier New 10 as the font (as windows 8 apparently doesn't have courier).  That should work the same way.

Try reducing the font size a point (9) to see if tab-spacing is overflowing the tab areas at the current print size. Also, check that the installed font has both printer & screen compatibility; some fonts laking postscript or printer versions generate strange sizes when going from screen to printer.

I also suspect that trying the Epson printer drivers (most current, not necessarily the ones on some CD that came with the printer) should work better than generic, but there are now several variables in this mix to try in various combinations to see if one combo works acceptably.