2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2013 6:32 AM by MacUT

Need help with Interface for encrypted fields

MacUT

Hi

I have several databases that I now have to encrypt various fields. I have figured out how to encrypt and decrypt any given field using the blowfish plugin. However, I don't know the best way to have the end user work with these fields. For example, I need to encrypt a social security field and currently I've put a button in the place where the SSN field was. As it works now the user can click the button and a dialogue window pops up revealing the SSN in a global field and the user can edit it or change it if needed. When the dialogue window is dismissed the SSN is encrypted and stored back in the field and the global field is cleared. In any given database I may have as many as 10 or so fields on various layouts or tabs that need to be encrypted.

My question is what is the best way to handle the interface? Having a button by each field would work but it does not seem to be very elegant to me. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to do this? Some of the fields may contain just a number like GPA (grade point average) but others might be a progress note on a student with a health issue and may be several paragraphs. I would like the interface to show the decrypted field result in a uniform way no matter what was stored in the field.

Thanks

Brian Garman

University of Tampa