1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2017 3:08 PM by BuildsafeAustralia

Remove Kiosk mode

DickHoning

Hi there,

does anybody know of a method on how to remove kiosk mode from a FileMaker file ?

Thanks in advance and best regards - Dick

• 1. Re: Remove Kiosk mode
          PeterWindle

Are you referring to Kiosk mode on a runtime solution?

• 2. Re: Remove Kiosk mode
            DickHoning

Kiosk mode on .fmp12 file

• 3. Re: Remove Kiosk mode
              PeterWindle

This sounds to me like there must be some window control scripts within this file, as "Kiosk" mode usually only exists within runtime files???

Check your startup scripts for window sizing/controls.

• 4. Re: Remove Kiosk mode
                hbrendel

You can apply kiosk mode to non admin accounts without making it a runtime. So I suppose that if you can open the file as an admin you would be able to remove it again.

• 5. Re: Remove Kiosk mode
                  PeterWindle

"You can apply kiosk mode to non admin accounts without making it a runtime." I'm not familiar with this, how is this done?

" So I suppose that if you can open the file as an admin you would be able to remove it again.", yes, admin access should at least get you in so you can make changes to any window management scripts.

• 6. Re: Remove Kiosk mode
                    DickHoning

You can apply Kiosk mode via Developer Utilities. The point is that I'm now looking for a method of removing the Kiosk mode which I haven't found yet.

• 7. Re: Remove Kiosk mode
                      PeterWindle

ok, I get you know.. that's what I was thinking of when I mentioned 'run time' solutions.

I presume you can open the file from FileMaker with the master password? If so, you could open it and save a copy of it....

• 8. Re: Remove Kiosk mode
                        DickHoning

I did that but saving a copy doesn't remove the kiosk mode :-(

• 9. Re: Remove Kiosk mode
                          PeterWindle

wowie! Does it appear ok in FileMaker? What if you re-apply the options within the Developer tools?

• 10. Re: Remove Kiosk mode
                            hbrendel

Dick, I experimented a little bit and searched the internet. Apparently it's not possible. You're supposed to archive the original database. I presume that's too late now...

Will I see you next week in Gent?

• 11. Re: Remove Kiosk mode
                              DickHoning

It's the week after next ... and yes, I'll see you there.

• 12. Re: Remove Kiosk mode
                                reelsteve

all of my fmGO solutions or GO redux solutions  start with a solution file having all but the master admin account configured to respond to kiosk mode.  I do this because it's the only way to get rid of the top menu bar in Go layouts given that we don't have an exposed hook into show/hide the iOS top menu bar in filemaker.  when creating the kiosk enabled file in developer utilities, the option to select is titled "enable kiosk mode for non admin accounts".  because there is no exposed input to designate "this is an admin account ", it took me quite a bit of trial and error to lock down which combinations of privilege result in a priv set debilitated enough to bear the title "non admin" and by default , respect kiosk mode.  as I recall , there are a few black swan settings which on their own, if selected , push the priv set beyond the reach of kiosk mode.  in short - I remember it being quite a pain in the a$& to make a priv set which had a respectable amount of permission yet avoided breaching "admin " threshold. A long wind up indeed, all to land at a suggested approach of tinkering with ur privilege sets such that u get the security tiers u need but do so having each of the sets be deemed just "admin-y" enough to ignore kiosk mode.  u would become something along the lines of Tom cruise at the end of the firm where he comfirms to the mob boss that he does in fact know enough to send them all to the electric chair 10 times over but because of his duty to maintain the attorney client privilege , he should be thought of as a boat out to sea, floating around for eternity , never returning to port, ala "yes I have the feature set onboard to fry ur a$& BUt , I will never use it because of how our relationship is configured !"

that's borderline filemaker certification training material there...?!?!

• 13. Re: Remove Kiosk mode
                                  DickHoning

Wow ! ;-)

• 14. Re: Remove Kiosk mode
                                    beverly

Awesome, reelsteve! I wonder if anyone at the wedge has insight into what constitutes "admin account"? I've avoided Kiosk for all that is complex, but perhaps this little gem would be more useful. I wonder if "kiosk mode" can be used with IWP and what that does. There you've gone and done it! Now I must haul out my developer guide and read up on kiosk all over again.

Thanks!

Beverly

1 2 Previous Next