1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2013 5:27 PM by CarlSchwarz

field 2 narrowed down selection from field 1 in FIND??

tony.dhoop@telenet.be

Is it possible to narrow down in FIND mode a selection via dropdown list ?

field 1 = "manufacturer" (there are e.g. 100 car manufacturers defined in a table "Cars")

field 2 = "model" (there are e.g. 10.000 car models across all car manufacturers in table "Cars")

examples :

manufacturer = VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, ... etc...

model = polo, golf, A8, A6, 320d, M3, 520i, X5, E220, SLR, ... etc...

In FIND mode of a related table "pumps", I want to find all the possible pumps for specific cars & models.

The relationship is "pumps_CARS"

Using a Drop-box, the user will be able to select the car manufacturer from the field

pumps_CARS::manufacturer

having made the selection of e.g. "BMW" in that field, he now should be able to turn to the second field "pumps_CARS::model"

and select the model. I don't want him to see all the models available, but only the models from "BMW" as chosen first.

So important that the user should see in the second field (model) the narrowed down possibilities of Model, WITHOUT HAVING PERFORMED THE FIND REQUEST.

It seems such a simple thnig to do, but I can't find my way...

Can anybody help?

See explained in graphic

• 1. Re: field 2 narrowed down selection from field 1 in FIND??
          erolst

Search for conditional value list. When using global fields as selection fields and relationship controller, this technique also works in Find mode. But then you also could script the Find process, so this is not really an important criterion.

• 2. Re: field 2 narrowed down selection from field 1 in FIND??
            tony.dhoop@telenet.be

Hi,

I’m sorry, but I don’t quite understand what you mean?

Van: erolst noreply@filemaker.com

Verzonden: donderdag 3 oktober 2013 0:07

Aan: tony.dhoop@telenet.be

Onderwerp: Re: field 2 narrowed down selection from field 1 in FIND??

<https://fmdev.filemaker.com/index.jspa>

created by erolst <https://fmdev.filemaker.com/people/erolst>  in Advanced Discussion - View the full discussion <https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/126397#126397

• 3. Re: field 2 narrowed down selection from field 1 in FIND??
              CarlSchwarz

Create a "Value List" that uses values from a related field.

Tick the "Include only related values starting from: " box and use a relationship that is dependant on your "field one" which is the manufacturer.

Once a manufacturer is selected then they will be able to select a model, the value list will only show related values.

So the relationship would be

"Field One" to "Model::Manufacturer"

The downside to doing this is that field 2 won't show any values until field one is selected.  I'm not sure if that will break the way you want the find to work.

• 4. Re: field 2 narrowed down selection from field 1 in FIND??
                tony.dhoop@telenet.be

H,i I’m familiar with this / but didn’t realise it also worked in Find mode !

I’ll check it out.

Question is :

If you select in Field 1 the car manufacturer, you then can select the narrowed down models in field 2, right?

But if you don’t select the car manufacturer in field 1, do you get to see ALL the models in field 2 ?

Thx

Tony

Van: CarlSchwarz noreply@filemaker.com

Verzonden: donderdag 3 oktober 2013 7:49

created by CarlSchwarz <https://fmdev.filemaker.com/people/CarlSchwarz>  in Advanced Discussion - View the full discussion <https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/126447#126447

• 5. Re: field 2 narrowed down selection from field 1 in FIND??
                  CarlSchwarz

I have memories of it working in find mode, but I haven't done it lately.  Let me know how you go with this!

I think that some trickery can make field 2 show all records if nothing is selected.  You could use a script triggers and use the "Replace All" script step.  You won't be relating field one and manufacturer anymore, you'll be relating a calculation based on field one and another field in the model table that you will set with "replace all"

So you would have a calculation field on the left like this

if (isempty(field one), "all" , "field one")

And then relate that to a field in the model table that is updated via "replace all" by the script trigger.  Make that field equal "all" if field one is empty or replace it with the manufacturer when field one has something selected.

The performance you get out of that will depend on how many models there are but it should be workable.

• 6. Re: field 2 narrowed down selection from field 1 in FIND??
                    tony.dhoop@telenet.be

Hi, Carl

I have been looking at this from many angles, but can’t seem to make this work.

I don’t know if I can “push my luck” in asking you if you could help me out ???

I’ve cleaned up a copy of the files I’m using to show only the absolute minimum for this specific problem.

They are attached to this message.

Would you please be so kind to have a look, and to give me your advice / help?

The file used is Code_Rego.

The layout CUST_Product_Search is the one where I have the problem.

I want the field Sales_Designation to show the values that are relative to the choice made in Manufacutere (just above).

VERY IMPORTANT :

This layout is used in search mode (in IWP)

The user is directed to this layout, and will find it set in search mode.

He will enter in field “Manufacturer” e.g. “BMW” and then after he should see in “Sales Designation” only the models from BMW…

By clicking “continue” in the bottom, he’s directed to other layouts, which are irrelevant for this specific problem.

I’d really appreciate if you could help me out, cause I’m stuck.

Thanks a million

Tony

Van: CarlSchwarz noreply@filemaker.com

Verzonden: donderdag 3 oktober 2013 8:19

created by CarlSchwarz <https://fmdev.filemaker.com/people/CarlSchwarz>  in Advanced Discussion - View the full discussion <https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/126453#126453

• 7. Re: field 2 narrowed down selection from field 1 in FIND??
                      steve_ssh

Hello Tony,

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is this layout used exclusively in IWP, or is it used both via FM Client as well as IWP ?

2) I downloaded your file to take a look, and I note that the field Model_design does not always contain values.  With the data set in your sample file, certain Manufacturers would have nothing to list as Model options.  Is this correct?

Kind regards,

-steve

• 8. Re: field 2 narrowed down selection from field 1 in FIND??
                        tony.dhoop@telenet.be

Hi, steve

1)      This will exclusively be used for IWP

2)      Model_design shouldn’t be empty, but if there are empty ones, it’s because I emptied a lot of data in order to be able to upload (there were about 100.000 records). I recuded it to limit file size

Thanks !

Van: steve_ssh noreply@filemaker.com

Verzonden: donderdag 3 oktober 2013 21:54

created by steve_ssh <https://fmdev.filemaker.com/people/steve_ssh>  in Advanced Discussion - View the full discussion <https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/126508#126508

• 9. Re: field 2 narrowed down selection from field 1 in FIND??
                          steve_ssh

Hello Tony,

I have a revised set of your files for you to take a look at and try out.  I suggest trying it out in a full variety of different browsers.

In order to see the added functionality, you will need to host the files for IWP use, and the machine where you use the browser will need internet access.

This last requirement is because the generated IWP page will reference two Javascript libraries which are hosted on the web ( jQuery, and a custom library named IwpElements.js ).

If this works well for you, I will be happy to explain more and try to provide you with the important concepts for you to understand before you can use this in a solution.

For starters, some important and/or relevant points are:

- In order to use this, you will need to host a small (123 K) .js file somewhere on your webserver.  This file is a library that is intended to enable FM developers to extend and enhance IWP UI/UX functionality.

- Writing the library was a hobby of mine that I used as a vehicle for deepening my learning of a few technologies and topics, as well as just for a fun creative challenge.

- The library is a beta-version.  So far, only one developer has used this code in a production situation.  It has worked just fine, but not all functionality has been put to use in a production system.

- This library is unlikely to be compatible with the next major release of FMP/FMS.  As such, it should not be used in cases where the expectation is that all current functionality will seamlessly be carried into the next major FM version.

Please let me know if you run into problems with the modified sample files and I will try to help out.

An archive with edited versions of your files should be attached.

The only file I edited was: Code_rego

I added:

- custom functions

- two new scripts (at bottom of script list)

I modified:

- the search layout (added two rectangles upper left, and set tooltips on Manufucturer and Model field)

- the start up script

Kind regards,

-steve

• 10. Re: field 2 narrowed down selection from field 1 in FIND??
                            CarlSchwarz

It seems like you already have it solved so I won't look at it.  If you want me to check it out just ask again.

• 11. Re: field 2 narrowed down selection from field 1 in FIND??
                              tony.dhoop@telenet.be

Hi steve.

This seems like a solution that is an overkill for me.

I wanted a solution to my problem, but more importantly, I would hope to learn from it, so that I understand how to solve this in the future.

I really appreciate the effort and time you have put into this, but it's wasted effort on me (for now). Hopefully I'll reach your level in the coming years

Furthermore, I learned that the conditional list should not only work in IWP but also in FM.

Groeten,

Tony (mobile)

Op 4-okt.-2013 om 00:44 heeft steve_ssh <noreply@filemaker.com> het volgende geschreven:

created by steve_ssh in Advanced Discussion - View the full discussion

Hello Tony,

I have a revised set of your files for you to take a look at and try out.  I suggest trying it out in a full variety of different browsers.

In order to see the added functionality, you will need to host the files for IWP use, and the machine where you use the browser will need internet access.

This last requirement is because the generated IWP page will reference two Javascript libraries which are hosted on the web ( jQuery, and a custom library named IwpElements.js ).

If this works well for you, I will be happy to explain more and try to provide you with the important concepts for you to understand before you can use this in a solution.

For starters, some important and/or relevant points are:

- In order to use this, you will need to host a small (123 K) .js file somewhere on your webserver.  This file is a library that is intended to enable FM developers to extend and enhance IWP UI/UX functionality.

- Writing the library was a hobby of mine that I used as a vehicle for deepening my learning of a few technologies and topics, as well as just for a fun creative challenge.

- The library is a beta-version.  So far, only one developer has used this code in a production situation.  It has worked just fine, but not all functionality has been put to use in a production system.

- This library is unlikely to be compatible with the next major release of FMP/FMS.  As such, it should not be used in cases where the expectation is that all current functionality will seamlessly be carried into the next major FM version.

Please let me know if you run into problems with the modified sample files and I will try to help out.

An archive with edited versions of your files should be attached.

The only file I edited was: Code_rego

I added:

- custom functions

- two new scripts (at bottom of script list)

I modified:

- the search layout (added two rectangles upper left, and set tooltips on Manufucturer and Model field)

- the start up script

Kind regards,

-steve

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on FileMaker Technical Network

Start a new discussion in Advanced Discussion by email or at FileMaker Technical Network

Manage your email preferences.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2014 • San Antonio, Texas • July 28-31 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 12. Re: field 2 narrowed down selection from field 1 in FIND??
                                tony.dhoop@telenet.be

Dear carl.

The solution from steve was not what I am looking for.

As you offered, would you see the possibility to have a look at it, please?

Thanks !

Groeten,

Tony (mobile)

Op 4-okt.-2013 om 03:19 heeft CarlSchwarz <noreply@filemaker.com> het volgende geschreven:

created by CarlSchwarz in Advanced Discussion - View the full discussion

It seems like you already have it solved so I won't look at it.  If you want me to check it out just ask again.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on FileMaker Technical Network

Start a new discussion in Advanced Discussion by email or at FileMaker Technical Network

Manage your email preferences.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2014 • San Antonio, Texas • July 28-31 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 13. Re: field 2 narrowed down selection from field 1 in FIND??
                                  steve_ssh

Hi Tony,

Thank you for letting me know.  I hope that I have not taken you too far off course by proposing what I did.

Very best wishes,

-steve

• 14. Re: field 2 narrowed down selection from field 1 in FIND??
                                    CarlSchwarz

Sorry I couldn't download yours for some reason so I made a quick one.

It's pretty ugly because I'm time short but it does the trick.

It does more than it should - I haven't tidied it up.  But the value lists in find mode will change depending on what is selected.

Just click on the red fields only, hopefully you can work out the rest!  But it's in a mess.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    1 2 Previous Next