6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2013 2:25 PM by raybaudi

Text formated as "labels" to something more useful?

flybynight

Not necessarily a FMP question… if the easiest solution is with FMP, that's cool. If there is a way to do this with a text editor like TextWrangler, I'm all ears for that too! Here goes…

We have a client that has a "mailing list" that isn't in a list format. It was formatted to print on Avery labels. What we received is a PDF, that had been created from Word. Our client does not have access to whatever created the list.

What I am able to do is select all of the text in Acrobat and copy-paste it into a text editor, or whatever.

The problem is that it is not delimited in any nice way to differentiate fields and records. Basically, both fields and records are delimited with a return. So it looks something like this:

Name

Title

Address

City, ST Zip

Name

Title

Address

Address2

City, ST Zip

etc...

Note that MOST of the records have 4 lines, but some have 5, and a few have 3. Some addresses have commas in there, so I can't identify the City line as being the only line with a comma. What I can do is manually go through and force everything to be 4 lines (combine address 1 and 2 when necessary.

From that, does anyone have any tips to do a find-replace the first, second and third returns with a tab, but keep the fourth return, then repeat that pattern? Can I do something like that with a looping script in FMP?

Thanks for any ideas!

-Shawn

• 1. Re: Text formated as "labels" to something more useful?
          usbc

Hi,

You don't say what operating system they (or you) use or if you have a working relationship with them.. But if it is a Windows machine you might take a look at all the many conversion applications that Avery offers.

http://www.winsite.com/csv/csv+csv/?titlematchtype=3&authormatchtype=3&license=all&os=all

• 2. Re: Text formated as "labels" to something more useful?
            flybynight

I'm on a Mac, but I do have Windows machines available to me.

I took a quick look at that link. I don't think those will do what I'm looking for. Most of them look like they are for converting FROM csv to something else. I'm basically trying to get TO a useful format like csv, tab-delimited, FMP, Excel, whatever. Anything standard. Right now, I just have a long string of text, with each "field" on the next line, then repeating for every record.

Laters,

-Shawn

• 3. Re: Text formated as "labels" to something more useful?
              Mike_Mitchell

Are the zip codes in a consistent format - like all 5 digits, all ZIP+4? You might could write a script to go over the list and say something like,

If [ Filter ( RightWords (( GetValue ; $count ) ; 1 ) ; "0123456789" ) = RightWords (( GetValue ; $count ) ; 1 ) ]

{do stuff here to divide into new record}

End If

Just a thought.

Mike

• 4. Re: Text formated as "labels" to something more useful?
                flybynight

That is a possibility, but it would also grab a lot of addresses that are "PO Box 12345" or something like that.

Can you script a single find and replace? That is, don't do a "find and replace" for every instance of a string, but only find the first one, replace it and move on?

If so, then I could get the text to a consistent 4-lines per address, and do something like:

Loop

Find ( [return character])

Replace with [tab]

Replace with [tab]

Replace with [tab]

Replace with [~!@#$%^]

End Loop

Then after that, run a find & replace for "~!@#$%^" and change it back to a return character.

(Obviously, totally made-up syntax there. I don't know if this is something that can be done or not. I've been playing with it and I'm not seeing what I want it to do.)

Thanks,

-Shawn

• 5. Re: Text formated as "labels" to something more useful?
                  Mike_Mitchell

Yes, you could do that. You would use the PatternCount function. Just look for the first occurrence. Then replace that occurrence with your new character. Lather, rinse, repeat.

• 6. Re: Text formated as "labels" to something more useful?
                    raybaudi

flybynight ha scritto:

if the easiest solution is with FMP, that's cool.

I would use a CF like this, after you "force everything to be 4 lines" :

/*

CustomReplace ( text )

*/

Let([

$i = $i + 1 ;

pos = Position ( text ; ¶ ; 1 ; 1 ) ;

result = If ( pos ; If ( Mod ( $i ; 4 ) ; Replace ( text ; pos ; 1 ; Char ( 9 ) ) ; Replace ( text ; pos ; 1 ; "§" ) ) ; text )

];

Case(

pos ; CustomReplace ( result ) ;

Let ( $i = "" ; Substitute ( result ; "§" ; ¶ ) )

)

)