1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2013 6:56 PM by taylorsharpe

What would you say is a standard salary for a FM Developer?

reis

I've been offered a permanent position as a FM Developer with a company.
      As far as salary, what do you think an Advanced Fm Developer should be on in Australia?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: What would you say is a standard salary for a FM Developer?
          CarlSchwarz

How advanced?  PHP?

Ask for 1 million

• 2. Re: What would you say is a standard salary for a FM Developer?
            reis

yeah PHP, Integration with ioS and Android...

I think a million as well. minimum!!

haha!! No but really! I need to know what the going rate would be so I have a bit of bargaining power.

• 3. Re: What would you say is a standard salary for a FM Developer?
              CarlSchwarz

My advice probably isn't the best so I sent a PM.  I'd be looking at what developers in your area get in general get if you have the extras beyond Filemaker!

• 5. Re: What would you say is a standard salary for a FM Developer?
                coherentkris

You get paid what you negotiate and knowing what your worth to the employer is key to maximizing the outcome.

• 6. Re: What would you say is a standard salary for a FM Developer?
                  PointInSpace

You get paid what you negotiate and knowing what your worth to the

employer is key to maximizing the outcome.

Note one can get into anti-trust issues with these types of discussions

if you start discussing concrete numbers.

- John

--

• 7. Re: What would you say is a standard salary for a FM Developer?
                    taylorsharpe

Obviously it depends on a lot, including where you are located.  I'm in Texas and this is what I hear from around here.  Junior developers are making $40-50K.  Regular developers with experience (5-10 years) are making $50-70K.  Senior developers and good independent developers with additional IT skills like good server deployment knowledge, Oracle/MS SQL/MySQL, HTML, PHP, Java, etc., make $70-100K and more depending on their additional skill set.  Some speciality knowledge like in the security area may even pull in $150K.  But that is pretty rare around here and usualy is someone who had other skillls and FileMaker was just an additional to many other IT skill sets.  Keep in mind that Texas has a low cost of living say compared to say New York or California.  So this money probably goes further here.  And business seems to be doing better here in Texas with lower unemployment, etc. 

You probably will make more being an independent developer, but you are not guaranteed a salary and have to deal with all the headaches of a business such as taxes and collections, etc.  In-house developers usually make less, have a steady income, and sometimes have benefits. 

• 8. Re: What would you say is a standard salary for a FM Developer?
                      SteveMartino

.."Note one can get into anti-trust issues with these types of discussions

if you start discussing concrete numbers."

Respectfully disagree.  Taylorsharpe's reply is basic information that any good head hunter could gather.  It would only be considered anti trust if a conversation with a statement like    "...We (bunch of developers or owners of different companies) should all charge 'X', or we (owners of different companies at a meeting) should agree to only pay all our employees "Y'......

Conversations that would fix prices, etc.

• 9. Re: What would you say is a standard salary for a FM Developer?
                        MartinCrosman

I'd take a little different approach. No doubt your IT skills will determine what you can do and offer but does the position also require you to be able to define and possibly change existing work flows and processes. Does it require you have expert knowledge in the business, industry, busness processes? Are they looking at you to be an active leader in this area not just a "developer". This might also let you add this to the discusion of salary. If you can demonstrate your solution is saving the company $X or resulting in increased revenues by $Y that should be leverage in your discussion.

Hope this helps

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 10. Re: What would you say is a standard salary for a FM Developer?
                          jbante

Subcontractors are a huge overlooked category between being an independent consultant and an in-house developer. (I'm using "in-house" to mean "someone else's employee," including employees of consultancies in addition to the more traditionally understood FileMaker-using-but-not-FileMaker-focused organization.) The pay and income variability are somewhere between independent consultants and in-house developers, but with less responsibility than either.

• 11. Re: What would you say is a standard salary for a FM Developer?
                            PointInSpace

/.."Note one can get into anti-trust issues with these types of

discussions /

/if you start discussing concrete numbers."/

Respectfully disagree.  Taylorsharpe's reply is basic information that

any good head hunter could gather.  It would only be considered anti

trust if a conversation with a statement like /"...We (bunch of

developers or owners of different companies) should *all *charge 'X', or

we (owners of different companies at a meeting) should agree to only pay

all our employees "Y'....../

I was not replying to taylorsharpe's post - my post wasn't even made in

direct response to his (it was before).  I was making a generalized

statement for the benefit of all.

And, for the record, collusion is not a requirement for these types of

discussions to violate anti-trust laws.  Salary surveys have been taken

to task, as have general discussions of specific pay rates.  A general

Google search will turn up plenty of support for what I'm stating.

- John

--

• 12. Re: What would you say is a standard salary for a FM Developer?
                              SteveMartino

The original poster asked about salaries, I only referenced Taylors post (which I know came after yours) because his post, in my opinion, answers what the OP asked, basic information.  A general google search really doesnt support what your stating.  You stated..

"Note one can get into anti-trust issues with these types of discussions

if you start discussing concrete numbers."

Sorry to disagree with you, but you are simply incorrect. I just don't want any person to feel they cant give their opinion because they may be violating anti-trust laws.  The parameters I stated in my first post were basic guidelines as to the types of conversations that could go down the wrong path. 

Collusion, bid rigging, price fixing, boycotts, refusing to supply, different pricing, etc deal with the anti-trust laws/violations, not a simple discussion about salary. 

You also stated...

And, for the record, collusion is not a requirement for these types of

discussions to violate anti-trust laws.  Salary surveys have been taken

to task, as have general discussions of specific pay rates.  A general

Google search will turn up plenty of support for what I'm stating.

For the record?...Salary surveys violate anti-trust laws almost exclusively because of collusion.

Salary surveys that resulted in lawsuits and violations reference trade associates, companies, etc. using the surveys to depress wages...nothing even close to what this thread is about.

• 13. Re: What would you say is a standard salary for a FM Developer?
                                CarlSchwarz

SteveMartino wrote:

For the record?...Salary surveys violate anti-trust laws almost exclusively because of collusion.

Salary surveys that resulted in lawsuits and violations reference trade associates, companies, etc. using the surveys to depress wages...nothing even close to what this thread is about.

Is this an American thing?  Salary Surveys / guides are everywhere in Australia.

Here's one that I quite like because of how comprehensive it is and I should have really linked to it earlier:

http://www.hays.com.au/salary-guide/index.htm

Since reis asked about Australia I'd say this argument doesn't apply

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • 14. Re: What would you say is a standard salary for a FM Developer?
                                  LyndsayHowarth

Interesting... there are not many FM Consultancies in Australia who could afford what I'd want to be paid. I expect you are looking at another kind of corporate...?

If you are a top notch FM developer I'd guess $80k... and if you add PHP (CSS, jQuery, AJAX etc)  I'd guess $90-$120k....

BUT I don't know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Lyndsay

1 2 Previous Next