7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2013 10:42 AM by pmconaway

Creating Youtube Training Videos

eqitec

What is the most efficient process to transfer screenshots of sequential FM12 records to Youtube for training presentations with good quality video and audio? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Creating Youtube Training Videos
          LyndsayHowarth

You will find several other threads on this topic. Try a search. "screen capture" might do it...

I use ScreenFlow on a Mac. My youtube channel has not been touched since I uploaded my first (test) video... that was a screenflow of a screen saver slide show.

It really depends on the features you want and the platform you are using etc.

I do use mine regularly. I like to snapshot a project for a client to show progress or to ask a question it helps them conceptualise the circumstances. Because I do a lot of web stuff I can show specifics... like 3 levels of access accounts... without having to send them long explanations of how they log in and look at each. Screenflow records your clicks which you can choose to animate and it allows you to record extra voice-overs and/or a music track or other video and best of all you can cut and paste bits and pieces together. It also has settings for exporting to youtube etc.

Other software have similar features and additional or substitute features so it is best to check out a few.

- Lyndsay

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating Youtube Training Videos
            eqitec

Lyndsay:

Thanks for your useful reply.

My preference is to record screenshots directly from a sequence of screens in an FM12 db, but even using Screenflow on a MacBook Air I still find that my videos on Youtube end up grainy with poor resolution.

While I like the other Screenflow features you mentioned, the resolution issue is most important.

Converting FM12 screen pages to PDFs, importing each individually to a Keynote presentation, and recording from Keynote seems to work best, but this is too time-consuming.

Any other suggestions you may have concerning the resolution issue would be appreciated.

Dave

• 3. Re: Creating Youtube Training Videos
              MartinCrosman

Take a look at Screensteps it might help

www.screensteps.com/

• 4. Re: Creating Youtube Training Videos
                danielfarnan

It sounds like there are two things you can check. The first is the compression/export settings in Screenflow, which might be configured to optimise filesize in preference to image quality.

The other is the options in your YouTube account. I've never used it, but there might be restrictions on free accounts or something.

Both of these can be checked by playing the Screenflow captured movie on your MBA. If it looks good there, the problem is with YouTube, if not then Screenflow is probably at fault.

• 5. Re: Creating Youtube Training Videos
                  LyndsayHowarth

Yes... you need to play with how you export it.

You might not want to use the auto-export to youtube settings but rather export a higher quality movie and upload that...

The youtube export might be dropping it down to smartphone sizes or such...

- Lyndsay

• 6. Re: Creating Youtube Training Videos
                    eqitec

Thanks all again for the feedback.

For reasons that are not totally clear to me, ScreenR seems to put up the clearest video on YT directly from my FM12 App on my Win7 PC. But ScreenR has much more limited editing capabilities vs. the other options out there. So I will keep testing to find the right mix of features to meet my needs.

• 7. Re: Creating Youtube Training Videos
                      pmconaway

eqitec, look at Camtasia (smithmicro). It's similar to screenflow and runs on both the Mac and PC and has a lot of options when it comes to exporting videos. And I would agree with Lyndsay, you need to look into the export settings. They make all the difference in what you get as a final product.