6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2013 1:38 AM by DavidJondreau

iPhone as Hotspot

I have several solutions that work on iPad and iPhone. I have been using Comcast cable but will begin traveling in an RV.

I will get a cellular connection which raises the issue of getting a mobile hotspot device or using an iPhone as a hotspot.

The iPhone of course will work with Go but what if I want to use Pro on an Macbook Air.

Has anyone used an iPhone to network several Mac devices and how well does this work? Heat, etc? Other issues. Or just comments in general.

• 1. Re: iPhone as Hotspot
          PointInSpace

We've done numerous long distance family trips with multiple Macs and

iDevices connecting through my iPhone as a hotspot.  Never had an issue

with it, other that the fact sometimes you need to be on the screen that

enables/disables the hotspot on the iPhone for the other clients to see it.

- John

I have several solutions that work on iPad and iPhone. I have been using

Comcast cable but will begin traveling in an RV.

I will get a cellular connection which raises the issue of getting a

mobile hotspot device or using an iPhone as a hotspot.

The iPhone of course will work with Go but what if I want to use Pro on

an Macbook Air.

Has anyone used an iPhone to network several Mac devices and how well

does this work? Heat, etc? Other issues. Or just comments in general.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message

on FileMaker Technical Network

<https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/126605#126605>

Start a new discussion in FileMaker Go by email

<mailto:discussions-community-discuss-filemaker_go@filemaker-inc.hosted.jivesoftware.com>

or at FileMaker Technical Network

<https://fmdev.filemaker.com/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2026>

Manage your email preferences

<https://fmdev.filemaker.com/index.jspa/user-notification-preferences!input.jspa>.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2014 • San Antonio, Texas • July 28-31

• www.filemaker.com/devcon

--

• 2. Re: iPhone as Hotspot
            billbarman

I just happened to be trying out my new personal hotspot feature on my iPhone today.  I dropped my iPad internet service with ATT and added the hotspot service for my iPhone data plan instead.  The reason was to also allow using the MacBook Air tethered to the iPhone, along with my MacBook which lost its wifi functionality.

Here are the results of the speed tests I ran.  Looks like it won't be too long before I can drop my cable internet service altogether in favor of a cellular hotspot.

Connect ThruConfigurationDownUp
            iPhone 4s
            iPhone 4sMacBook / iPhone via Blutooth0.400.10
            iPhone 4siPad / iPhone via Blutooth0.350.37
            iPhone 4siPad / iPhone via WiFi4.140.96
            iPhone 4sMB Air / iPhone via WiFi1.600.23
            iPhone 4sMB Air / iPhone via USB2.630.64
            iPhone 4siPhone alone4.962.00
            TW Cable
            TW CableMB Air / TW8.602.02
            TW CableiPad / TW17.201.84
            TW CablePBG4 / TW6.001.00
            TW CableMacMini / TW13.841.05
            • 3. Re: iPhone as Hotspot
              keywords

Away from home I usually connect my iPhone to my laptop via Bluetooth to access the internet. Haven't trid it with multiple devices, but it shouldn't be a problem.

• 4. Re: iPhone as Hotspot

Very interesting.

Did you use Speedtest.net? It is something of a standard and you can send nice graphics of the tests afterwards. Speedtest HD is for the iPad. The host chosen affects the results.

I assume the numbers are Mbs

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3019172197

Down was 21 Mbs and up 5.76 Mbs for my 2006 iMac with Ethernet.

Down was 20 Mbs and up 5.38 Mbs for my iPad Mini using Wifi

I have a dedicated business connection but was getting similar speeds over a home connection.

My Netgear router has two settings and I have the iPad mini on the fastest.

I am going to miss this when I switch to an iPhone or hotspot device.

I was the original, almost, adopter of Sprint's 2G service in Broward County Florida and spent 18 Months less than 100 yards away from a Sprint tower in Okeechobee Florida. Slow... Unreliable... too many drops for a database developer.

Now I just want movies and Youtube. Comcast spoils me on my iPad Mini and wifi.

But what the heck, I used a 12k baud modem back in the mid 80s. and spent hours backing up to 50 floppy disks.

The MacBook Air performance seems off a bit as well as the Cable speeds. Is this an earlier Air?

Are you connecting the iPad directly to cable and if so how? Or are the Air, iPad and G4 connected via a Wifi router using the cable connection?

• 5. Re: iPhone as Hotspot
                  billbarman

jackrodgers wrote:

The MacBook Air performance seems off a bit as well as the Cable speeds. Is this an earlier Air?

Are you connecting the iPad directly to cable and if so how? Or are the Air, iPad and G4 connected via a Wifi router using the cable connection?

The MacBook Air is new.  I'll have to research what's going on there.

The PowerBook G4 is actually functioning as my wireless router using the internet sharing feature.  It's connected by ethernet to the TW telephone/cable modem (which I have the honor of paying $5.99/mo for "internet modem lease" even though it's also used to provide phone service and would still be sitting there even if I bought my own cable modem.)  Using network sharing is probably why it's running at half the speed of the others.  The iPad connects to this PowerBook G4 via wifi and seems to get full throughput.

• 6. Re: iPhone as Hotspot
                    DavidJondreau

I've used both my iPhone and a Verizon JetPack MiFi hotspot. The iPhone is ok, kinda slow, but the JetPack is screaming. I think I got 8Mb down with it and 2 up. Which is pretty good for a "take anywhere" solution.