(This is a purchase order application, but the same process would apply to a sales order, invoice, etc.)
When receiving a purchase order, I need to update on-hand quantities in an items table and add records in a transaction log table. Neither of these tables is part of the PO layout.
Currently what I am doing:
- loop through the purchase order detail lines in the portal
- set some variables with item number, quantity received, cost, etc.
- open a new window
- switch to a layout containing the table to update
- search for the correct record (items table) or add new record (transaction log table)
- update the appropriate fields
- close the window
This seems to work, but has lots of flashing on the screen as windows are created and closed. I think I have to open a new window, because if I switch to another layout in the current window, I lose my place in the portal I'm looping through. Is there a better way?