9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2013 2:07 AM by dataclarity

Does FmGo support use of sub-folders in its Documents directory?

dataclarity

Hi there, in order to reduce the risk of iPad users swiping to delete files and also to prevent direct access to some files I have an iPad solution which uses a file called Tap_Here.fmp12 (easily replaced) to launch a more important set of database files which sit inside a folder called DO NOT TOUCH which also sits inside FMGo's Documents folder. (I originally had all the more important fmp files as invisible files but due to one rather obscure issue and in the interests of simplicity I opted to do the above instead).

This has all been working fine for a few months on about 30 iPads:

I've been using iExplorer to copy files to Filemaker Go's Documents folder - with FMGo 12.07 and iOS 6.1.2 on the iPad I've been able to copy the sub-folder of files (called DO NOT TOUCH) to FMGo's Documents folder with the Tap_Here.fmp12 file alongside it. FMGo just lists the folder name and the Tap_Here file. And no-one's touched the DO NOT TOUCH folder yet!

But I've just tried to setup 3 additional iPads with version 12.08 of FMGo and iOS 6.1.3 (same version of iExplorer) - if I do the same thing then FMGo doesn't display the DO NOT TOUCH folder, instead it just displays the files it contains. iExplorer certainly thinks the folder is there, and the Tap_Here file launches the files in the subfolder via a filepath including the subfolder so it seems like it knows the folder is there. But doesn't show it.

Incidentally (or perhaps significantly), iTunes doesn't let you move folders to FMGo's Documents folder, so I'm wondering if this is officially supported at all??

Any insight would be hugely appreciated - family and work commitments mean I can't be on the forum all the time so if I don't reply for a few hours please don't think I'm being rude!

Richard

• 1. Re: Does FmGo support use of sub-folders in its Documents directory?
          Stephen Huston

First, I suspect this is not officially supported in light of iTunes not allowing the moving of folder systems, but I've  not encountered this issue before. (How's it feel to be on the bleeding edge of technology? )

Second, are you sure you are viewing the Local Files view as opposed to Recent Files list in the FM Go file browser window? I know the recent view doesn't include any location/directory info.

• 2. Re: Does FmGo support use of sub-folders in its Documents directory?
            dataclarity

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for reply. Yes, its the Files on Device list I'm referring to. I'd also begun to wonder if this is officially supported (email to Filemaker coming up methinks) but its certainly frustrating if it has (accidentally) worked in a  slightly earlier version of FMGo but now no longer does.

As I said in original post, I initially made the more important db files invisible but an obscure issue made me move away from that. I really think this swipe to delete feature needs a level of protection in FMGo, if not disabling altogether, since I'm struggling to find a robust alternative to the invisible file method which I can't use for this solution.

How does it feel at the bleeding edge? A little wobbly!

Richard

• 3. Re: Does FmGo support use of sub-folders in its Documents directory?
              RubenVanDenBoogaard

Hi Richard,

What if you export the files to the temp folder on your iPad? (I don't know if they are save there, but they do not show up in the files on the device, and it is easier to install an iPad, Use the Tap-Here to open a file on a server with the work files in containers and use the export field command to move them to the temp folder.)

Hope that helps,

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

ruben@infomatics.nl

• 4. Re: Does FmGo support use of sub-folders in its Documents directory?
                dataclarity

Hi Ruben, thanks for your reply. Its an interesting answer and if the iPad users could start with an empty database each time then it would solve my problem, but records specific to each iPad would need to persist between launches of FMGo (e.g records which didn't synch during the last session or records which might need to be edited since the last session etc).

I'm assuming (but could be wrong here) that FMGo removes files in the tmp directory between launches or at some other interval, or that the iOS might purge this folder from time to time. Am I right in thinking that?

Richard

• 5. Re: Does FmGo support use of sub-folders in its Documents directory?
                  RubenVanDenBoogaard

Hi Richard,

I am not sure what happens to the files in the temp folder, you would assume that it will be purged at some point.

I dit a check using FM Pro and there the temp seems to be purged between restarts, You might be ok if FM Go is sleeping instead of closed but that seems like a risk.

Otherwise I would suggest a hidden file (bij putting a . in front of the filename), but you seem to have had problems with that.

I have deployed quite a few iPads and iPhones with FM Go and never had issues with users removing files which they should not, could you adjust your system to never let the user delete files from Go and use Go to delete files it does not need (there was a threat about that a week ago)

Hope that helps,

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

ruben@infomatics.nl

• 6. Re: Does FmGo support use of sub-folders in its Documents directory?
                    dataclarity

Hi again Ruben,

Yes, trusting the end users not to delete the files would be my preferred option at this point but you haven't met the end users !

Or worse case scenario I could rejig the part of the system which caused an issue with invisible files, although I'm reluctant to do that.

"could you adjust your system to never let the user delete files from Go " - is there some way to do this that you know of? I couldn't see any way in the iPad's restrictions to achieve that.

Thanks,

Richard

• 7. Re: Does FmGo support use of sub-folders in its Documents directory?
                      RubenVanDenBoogaard

Hi Richard,

I mean that you can delete files from within FM Go, so there is no need for your users to delete any files, they have to leave them as is. Otherwise proper punishments are in order !

I think your best option is to use the invisible files. What issues did you run into while using invisible files?

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

ruben@infomatics.nl

• 8. Re: Does FmGo support use of sub-folders in its Documents directory?
                        DavidJondreau

Prohibiting users from deleting files on their own device is an unusual request. I wouldn't want someone to prevent me from managing files on my device. And iPads are ultimately personal devices, not enterprise devices. Maybe there's another way to accomplish what user experience you're trying to achieve.

What user experience are you trying to achieve?

• 9. Re: Does FmGo support use of sub-folders in its Documents directory?
                          dataclarity

Hi Ruben and David,

In response to your last couple of postings:

The invisible file issue was to do with an external data source with 2 file references (the first being a hosted file online, the second being a local file on the device). The idea being that the device would launch the second, local file if it couldn't find the hosted file. And I had some unreliable behaviour launching the second, local file if the filepath was to an invisible file. I can do all this a different way and still achieve the desired result, so I think that's where I'm heading with this.

And in response to your posting David, the iPads in this instance are handed out to subcontracted civil engineering gangs to log their work and hence have heavy restrictions applied to what the end user can do with them. And many of the end users have never used this kind of device before, and hence might easily swipe rather than tap a filename, and might not know how to remove that red "Delete" button if they did. Deleting the databases accidentally isn't the end of the world, but would require driving back to base to have fresh copies installed and hence is a situation we'd like to avoid if we possibly can. Perhaps we're worrying too much, but I would like to see this swipe to delete feature protected somewhat in Filemaker Go, since in this situation it compromises the physical security of the end users system. But I take your point re personal device as opposed to enterprise.

Anyway, thanks for your postings everyone and I'll go re-jig this.

Richard