3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 6:01 PM by Stephen Huston

I have an image on a name tag layout that is not printing or showing up in preview mode

jvincilione

I have a layout that I'm using to print name tags for a list of employees/volunteers. I printed all of the nametags and noticed that the last 10 pages did not have the logo on them.

I went into FileMaker to see what was up, and now the logo is only showing up on the first record in preview mode. Once in preview mode, if I go to the next page, or any other page and back to the first page, the logo is no longer there.

I've never encountered this problem before.

Sliding is off on all layout elements, the image is not set to "Hide when printing." I've tried locking the image, and checked to make sure it's borders were not outside the printable area.

Now I'm at a loss. See Screenshots below.

nametag in browse mode

nametag in preview mode

• 1. Re: I have an image on a name tag layout that is not printing or showing up in preview mode
          Stephen Huston

Several other things can go wrong with printing images besides the do not print setting:

1. If the layout has a Header part, be sure the offending image object or container field is not touching the header part at all.
          2. If the image format was copied to the container field or layout, try inserting it instead.
          3. If the image was saved in a web-optimized format using mutliple refresh settings, resave it without those refresh options.
          4. If the image is a GIF, try saving it as a PNG file before inserting it.

One or more of these things has been involved in almost every image printing problem I've ever seen in FMP.

And please let us know when you get it working, especially if it was something new.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I have an image on a name tag layout that is not printing or showing up in preview mode
            jvincilione

Thanks for the response!

The layout has a header part, but nothing in the body touches it.

The image was inserted.

It was not saved in a web-optimized format or using multiple refresh settings.

The image is a TIFF.

I just realized it was saved CMYK, saved it as RGB and inserted it. Problem resolved.

Thanks for your help, I would not have reopened the file and noticed that had you not mentioned the file format issue.

• 3. Re: I have an image on a name tag layout that is not printing or showing up in preview mode
              Stephen Huston

Glad to have gotten you pointed to where you found and fixed it.

While FMP supports TIFF, I've had enough issues with changing file formats and changes in file encoding over my last 19 years of Photoshop use to prefer all my FMP image work saved as PNGs. It's been so long since I inserted a TIFF, I forgot about the CYMK/RGB issue.

Even between our messages today, I actually converted a screen-capture TIFF to PNG just to use it in a FMP demo file, because I started doing that as my routine for FM graphics several years ago. (Which is not to say that PNGs haven't faced some changes over time as well.)