2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 12:01 PM by wfennie

IWP specifications

wfennie

I'm putting together a justification for using Filemaker in a small organization.

We want to provide access to the data using a web service. The database has been developed using Filemaker Pro Advanced.

The configuration that appears to best suit our needs is Filemaker Server Advanced hosting Instant Web Publishing in a virtualized Windows Server 2008 environment.

The IT manager wants to know if using IIS is required in this context, or can Apache be used ?

More specifically, he would like to be able to read the technical specifications of how data is delivered from the databases to the web server and ultimately to the browser in this configuration.

Lots of searching here and in the various manuals did not yield an answer to this question, although I learned a lot of other stuff . . .

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: IWP specifications
          wimdecorte

If you are deploying on Windows then yes: IIS it is.  You can use Apache if you make your web server an OSX box.

Delivery to the browser is entirely done by IIS so nothing special there.  What kind of details is he after for how data flows between the FMS database engine and the web server?  Encryption?  Ports?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: IWP specifications
            wfennie

He was curious to know exactly what in the IWP application requires IIS. I get the feeling he has reservations about IIS, or there are extra steps he has to take in our environment to make it play nice with everything else we host.

We use Apache to handle most everything that comes in via IP/TCP.