9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2013 2:44 PM by BeatriceBeaubien

Sliding portals and page break

Beat

FM12, Max OS 10.7, DB hosted on FM12 Server, Windows 8 Server

In a print layout we have a couple of portals on top of each others, all set to 'Sliding up' and 'resize enclosing part'. The portals all have the size to show the maximum possible number of related records and resize and slide up as expected, when only fewer records exist. But when we try to print all records beeing browsed and the first record needs, let's say, two pages, from all the subsequent records only the first two pages are printed, even if they would need three pages, If the first records needs three pages it is printed correctly. In both cases it happens that blank third pages are printed, pages that are unnecessary.

We have this problem since we moved to FM12. With FM11 the same solution worked fine.

Any hints how to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot.

Beat

• 1. Re: Sliding portals and page break
          Charlie_Cole

I'm assuming you converted your files from FM 11 to FM12. 

I have found that when I do this and have printing issues, if I rebuild the printing layout in FM12 and delete the one that was converted from FM11 it seems to clear up my printing issues.  That is now my first go to when troubleshooting.

• 2. Re: Sliding portals and page break
            Beat

Thanks for your answer. With rebuilding you mean doing the whole thing again from scratch or just with copy - paste?

• 3. Re: Sliding portals and page break
              Charlie_Cole

Yes rebuild from scratch, remember FM12 uses CSS Style sheets.  I have found that sometimes in the converstion process the translation adds things that does not need to be there on the Style Sheet.  So rebuilding from scratch is the easiest way to remove unnessacary lines on the CSS Style sheet.

• 4. Re: Sliding portals and page break
                IT_User

So is it working in Preview mode, and just not working when printing?

And if you are rebuilding from scratch, you could possibly try to build the same layout in list view (of the related records); portals (so I've heard) are not really meant for printing.

• 5. Re: Sliding portals and page break
                  Beat

Neither in preview mode nor when printing. Giving up portals for printing you loose a lot. Doing 'the same' layout in list view works for simple layouts, shure, but not when you need to gather information from many tables in one layout or one printed document. And with FM11 everything worked fine.

I try to avoid rebuilding some of our sophisticated layouts in FM12. This work has become so time consuming. Arranging fields takes ten times the time it used to with older versions. But maybe for this there is no other chance:(.

• 6. Re: Sliding portals and page break
                    Charlie_Cole

IT_User has a good point, FM12 has SQL statements, that is a very powerful tool in reporting.  There were some good sessions at Devcon on reporting using SQL.  I'm not fan of portals in printing layouts and I avoid them all together.  FM12 along with SQL I use alot of virtual list now to do my reporting.  I have realize some additional benefits that I had not planned on when I first started using virtual list and that is I now have one layout that I am able to use for multiple reports.  Before I had one layout for each report.  I also found that the speed was much better as well.

Look at all of your options.

• 7. Re: Sliding portals and page break
                      Beat

Wow, that sounds interesting. Thank you very much for this information. I will have a look at it as soon as I get back to work in two weeks. You mean with virtual lists one can collect records from different tables? That would indeed be great news.

And sorry, IT_User, when I didn't get your answer in full debth.

Thanks again.

Beat

• 8. Re: Sliding portals and page break
                        gladams

I've been using virtual lists for all my reports for a while, but have used a calculation to to produce a text field for each record on the list rather than SQL. It generates the report fast enough for me, and allows multiple fields to be combined on each report item. This is useful if you don't want a page break in the middle of the grouped items. Where there can be a photo/diagram on in the report I use 2 layouts, one with a container field for the photo/diagram. I've attached the 1st 2 pages of a sample PDF as images. Where there can be multiple users the list is filtered for the user generating the report. The virtual list is deleted on exit. Not sure whether what I have done can be done with SQL since I've not tried it.

Electric Toothbrush Main Report_Page_1.jpg

Electric Toothbrush Main Report_Page_2.jpg

• 9. Re: Sliding portals and page break
                          BeatriceBeaubien

That's a very nice report format. Thank you for sharing.

Best wishes,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 12 Certified Developer

Knowledge Translation Certified Professional

On Oct 19, 2013, at 8:41, gladams wrote

created by gladams in General - View the full discussion

I've been using virtual lists for all my reports for a while, but have used a calculation to to produce a text field for each record on the list rather than SQL. It generates the report fast enough for me, and allows multiple fields to be combined on each report item. This is useful if you don't want a page break in the middle of the grouped items. Where there can be a photo/diagram on in the report I use 2 layouts, one with a container field for the photo/diagram. I've attached the 1st 2 pages of a sample PDF as images. Where there can be multiple users the list is filtered for the user generating the report. The virtual list is deleted on exit. Not sure whether what I have done can be done with SQL since I've not tried it.

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-127551-4090/450-582/ElectricToothbrushMain+Report_Page_1.jpg

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-127551-4094/450-582/ElectricToothbrushMain+Report_Page_2.jpg