4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2013 9:33 AM by BowdenData

Filemaker Pro 12 on Windows 7 won't save favorite hosts or recent files

hannah.ardyson

Has anyone seen behavior like this? I have a user with the Filemaker Pro 12 client on a Windows 7 box. She is accessing files from our Filemaker 12 server. In the Open Remote dialog box, she can put in the hostname of the server and see all the files that she has access to, and open and use files normally. However, when she closes Filemaker Pro and re-opens it, she does not see the files that she's just opened in her Recent Files list, and if we've added the server as a Favorite Host it does not show up in the Favorite Hosts list. The client doesn't seem to remember anything that was done in a previous session.

The other problem that she's seeing, which may or may not be related, is that a script in one of the databases that sends email via SMTP (not going through her local mail client) will cause the whole Filemaker client to shut down.

Could this be an issue with the Windows firewall on her computer? Her user account has been made an administrator on the computer, and we've uninstalled and reinstalled Filemaker, including the 12.0.v4 patch. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Hannah

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 on Windows 7 won't save favorite hosts or recent files
          taylorsharpe

I do know that if FileMaker is forced to quit or terminated abnormally, the favorites are not remembered because they are written to the preference when it closes down.  Is there any chance she is abnormally ending FileMaker?  For example, shutting down and the system says FileMaker is taking a while to shut down and she tells it to force it to quit? 

Otherwise it might be something like permissions not being correct for writing to the preference file.  This type of problem is probably best resolved by reinstalling FileMaker. 

Since the SMTP email seems to becausing crashing, that is another reason to reinstall FileMaker because that function should work without problems. 

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 on Windows 7 won't save favorite hosts or recent files
            hannah.ardyson

Thanks for answering.

I thought at first that the favorites weren't being saved because Filemaker was quitting abnormally, but I tried adding favorites and shutting down the program by choosing File ->Exit, and the favorites still didn't persist.  It does seem like there is a problem writing to the preference file.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Filemaker while logged into the computer as the user, but the problem is still happening after the reinstall.

None of the other people in the same office who use this database have either of the problems, so I am stumped as to what's going on.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 on Windows 7 won't save favorite hosts or recent files
              taylorsharpe

If you log onto another account on the same computer, does it have the same problem?

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 on Windows 7 won't save favorite hosts or recent files
                BowdenData

If using another account does not solve the issue, I would wipe the PC and install the OS and applications from scratch. I have indirectly seen the same behavior you describe about not saving preferences, etc., but with FM11 on Win7. In my case, the client had a custom install image of Win7 that was already pre-configured with a lot of their settings and they went a little overboard in trying to lock down Windows. I don't think that sounds like an issue for you, but don't know.

Once they re-installed the OS from the original Microsoft image, all was okay.

HTH.

Doug