6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2013 4:53 PM by Malcolm

PHP/FMS performance benchmarks or experiences with high-volume traffic

DrewTenenholz

All --

I'm getting some push back from other folks working on a project that has several distinct development efforts. I'm setting up a customer registration database and web site using FMS and PHP. I'm confident that FileMaker will be able to handle tables with high record counts and all the necessary relationships.

One issue being raised is whether the web interface would be able to handle something like 1,000+ signups per day.

Does anyone have experience or benchmarking that they'd be willing to share regarding higher-volume sites? What hardware (Mac, please) would you recommend?

---

A related question is how to mirror the site for both load-balancing and fail-over purposes should there really be a lot of traffic. I can see something like MirrorSync on the back end for maintaining two FMS machines and their data, but don't know enough about how to set up load balancing. Can anyone share their experiences here?

---

Both questions are actually best case scenarios; we hope to have that much traffic and the need for load balancing.

Thanks In Advance,

Drew Tenenholz

• 1. Re: PHP/FMS performance benchmarks or experiences with high-volume traffic
          Mike_Mitchell

Drew -

I can't speak to load balancing (never done that), but I have a system here that registers entry / exit into a facility. It routinely handles 1,800+ transactions a day without issues. That includes writing to logs with each transaction (so you really have something on the order of 5,000+ transactions, if you consider the number of records being created / modified).

As to record counts, the table that stores the entry / exit records is relatively small, about 20,000 records. But the event log is well over a million records with no observable problems.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: PHP/FMS performance benchmarks or experiences with high-volume traffic
            DrewTenenholz

Mike --

Just to confirm, the main entry/exit system is running via a website using PHP and FMServer, correct?

>...I have a system here that registers entry / exit into a facility. It routinely handles 1,800+ transactions a day without issues.

-- Drew

• 4. Re: PHP/FMS performance benchmarks or experiences with high-volume traffic
              woytovich

My experience is different than Mike's.

We were using CWP between the web side and FMS. Our experience was dreadful. User sessions maxed out at about 20, then things would go south. Users would get "stuck", unable to continue, FMS would bog to a crawl for the CWP users. User sessions would not get dropped. We would eventually have to stop web publishing and restart to clear the "stuck" users as they were "blocking" the other users.

Now: we had had this built by a VERY highly regarded development company, one that participates in R&D and beta testing at the highest levels with FileMaker (or so we are told). They had nothing to add to the conversation when we started to experience the slow downs other than: "That's CWP for you". We were NOT happy that they let us believe CWP could handle the load we were expecting and let us pay them (a lot) to build this fairly large system. We have since moved on and our current PHP developer is very surprised at the "chaos" he is finding in the code.

So… is it an inherent limitation in CWP or was it bad implementation by those developers? I don't know.

We have been moving as much as possible out of CWP and we are much happier.

I don't know if this is entirely relevant to your situation - I hope this helps.

mark

• 5. Re: PHP/FMS performance benchmarks or experiences with high-volume traffic
                LSNOVER

If programmed correctly and the user input is light, it may work well.  Every application is different though.  I'd suggest building a rough prototype and stress testing it before you get in too far.   

• 6. Re: PHP/FMS performance benchmarks or experiences with high-volume traffic
                  Malcolm

We were using CWP between the web side and FMS. Our experience was dreadful. User sessions maxed out at about 20, then things would go south. Users would get "stuck", unable to continue, FMS would bog to a crawl for the CWP users. User sessions would not get dropped. We would eventually have to stop web publishing and restart to clear the "stuck" users as they were "blocking" the other users.

We haven't had any problems with CWP in FMSAv12.

We had a similar experience under FMSAv11. We put a lot of work into troubleshooting it and discovered that the problem occurred when web crawling robots arrived in clusters. They were performing wildcard searches designed to return all records. The load on the server would spike and the unfulfilled requests would backup. Those sessions wouldn't be dropped and sessions following them would be put in a queue. WPE use of memory and CPU would climb and eventually the number of user sessions would max out. We addressed it in various ways by defensive coding, using robots.txt to block robots and a shell script to reboot WPE daily. In addition, there have been a couple of patches since then that were designed to improve memory handling in WPE.

malcolm