6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2013 4:33 AM by RubenVanDenBoogaard

Check boxes

maurice2307

Hi,

I would like to ask the community a question regarding checkboxes - more specifically if anyone can/may/is allowed to/likes to comment on how checboxes will be dealt with in FM's next incarnation.

As I understand it now a checkbox is boolean. It represent a value or not (not also being a value of course). The label of the checkbox can only be that of a value attributed to it from a value list.

So if I set the checkbox to 'on' (assigning the field behind it a simple value of e.g. 1), the label reads '1'.

In order to make the checkbox look nice and make sense on a layout, I would have to assign it the value of e.g. "out of stock", and test the content of that field in every calculation, instead of just testing for '0' or '1'.

I know I can reduce the checkbox in size so that only the actual box is visible and then put a textlabel in front or behind it. This has the disadvantage however that the user has to click the precise box instead of the label. I could make the label a button and then calculate the checkbox as '0' or '1' if clicked, but I think it's sooo very cumbersome for something that's a cinch in any other IDE.

Now, to get to the point... I am about to embark on a project which includes many, many checkboxes. We're not in a hurry and if I can wait it out until FM>12 has another solution for the checkboxes (and radio buttons too for that matter), I'd do so. On the other hand, if someone knows (already) that this issue will remain the same in FM>12, I'll bite the bullet and go ahead.

Thanks people.

Kind regards,

Maurice

• 1. Re: Check boxes
          Lemmtech

Check boxes, radio buttons etc.. are just data masks on fields based on the value list attached it. Check boxed allow you to enter multiple return separated values into a single field while the other masks just allow one value. I have heard nothing about changing this behavior and would venture to guess that this behavior is never likely to chance. If we're lucky we might be able one day to create the field masks on the fly using Execute SQL or something but I don't even see this happening very soon.

In your case can you not just check if the field has a value or not using the IsEmpty command? Do you need to check for a specific value? You can treat each field as a boolean to ask if it has a value or not regardless of it actual contents.

• 2. Re: Check boxes
            RubenVanDenBoogaard

Hi Maurice,

I have added a fun example using repeating fields for the checkboxes and labels

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

ruben@infomatics.nl

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Check boxes
              maurice2307

Hi Ruben,

I was going to reply in Dutch, but I guess that's rude considering the language of the forum,

Thank you for the example. It does exactly what I wanted to achieve.

Reuze bedankt voor het voorbeeld. Dit doet precies wat ik zelf wilde bewerkstelligen. Great!

Cheers

Maurice

• 4. Re: Check boxes
                flybynight

This might not be exactly what you are looking for, but it might be helpful, nonetheless…

Take a look at the "Why UI..." DevCon 2013 session that was just posted. There is an example in there replacing the ugly checkbox with a unicode text-based √ check character.

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/docs/DOC-3561

View now

The part I'm talking about is around the 18:00 mark.

HTH,

-Shawn

• 5. Re: Check boxes
                  RubenVanDenBoogaard

Hi Maurice,

Glad I could help.

Have a nice day!

Groet, Ruben

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 17 okt. 2013 om 19:19 heeft maurice2307 <noreply@filemaker.com> het volgende geschreven:

created by maurice2307 in General - View the full discussion

Hi Ruben,

I was going to reply in Dutch, but I guess that's rude considering the language of the forum,

Thank you for the example. It does exactly what I wanted to achieve.

Reuze bedankt voor het voorbeeld. Dit doet precies wat ik zelf wilde bewerkstelligen. Great!

Cheers

Maurice

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on FileMaker Technical Network

Start a new discussion in General by email or at FileMaker Technical Network

Manage your email preferences.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2014 • San Antonio, Texas • July 28-31 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 6. Re: Check boxes
                    RubenVanDenBoogaard

Hi Maurice,

When you need to create a whole lot of check boxes, you could make a set, say 10 to 19, copy the set, use a tool like the free '2empowerFM Clipboard Explorer' to convert the clipboard to text, search and replace al the repetitions from 1 to 2, to get 20 to 29,

use the tool again to set the clipboard again and paste it into FM to get the next 10 checkboxes, or 100 . .

Hope that helps,

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

ruben@infomatics.nl