6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2013 2:59 AM by RonSmithMD

Fastest way to delete all data in all tables?

jp10

Is there a faster way besides viewing the data in table view and manually deleted the records? Appreciate the help.

• 1. Re: Fastest way to delete all data in all tables?
          ErikWegweiser

Hi. First, it doesn't matter what view you're in, as long as the 'delete all records' command is available.

Second, what you might want to do instead is save a copy as a clone. That's an empty database with the data only removed.

I'd use one of two methods for scripting the deletion of all records from all tables if that's what I really needed to do.

1. For each base table, have the routine go to any layout based on that table; find all; delete all; continue to the next table.

or

2. set-up a cascading delete relationship some way that (safely) accomplishes the deletion of all data by simply deleting one record.'

For instance, in every table, set-up a constant field (numeric calc = -1). Set-up a special base table only for performing this delete,

and include in it a number field. set-up a cascading delete relationship ('delete related records' option on) from this field to the

-1 constant field in all other tables (one relationship for each table). To perform the delete all function, create a record in the special

talbe, then set the number field in the special table to the value -1. Delete that record and all records in all other tables will

be deleted in one large domino effect.

I anticipate this script woudl be run only by a full access account user or with the 'run with full access' option checked.

HTH

• 2. Re: Fastest way to delete all data in all tables?
            jp10

Hello ErikWegweiser,

Thanks I think I got what your doing, I was hoping there was like a right click delete all records option in "Manage Database" window where it lists all the tables.  All I see is the option to delete the table only.  Thank you.

• 3. Re: Fastest way to delete all data in all tables?
              BarbaraCooney

All data, all tables? Save As Clone.

• 4. Re: Fastest way to delete all data in all tables?
                jp10

Hahah I just realized Erik said the same thing, but for some reason when I read it I didn't understand what he was talking about.  Awesome thank you guys thats exactly what I was looking for!  Appreciate it!

• 5. Re: Fastest way to delete all data in all tables?
                  gdurniak

Feature Request:  We need a Save as Clone for just ONE Table

greg

> All data, all tables? Save As Clone

• 6. Re: Fastest way to delete all data in all tables?
                    RonSmithMD

Its easy enough to just copy the table from a regular clone isn't it?

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle