8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2013 8:35 AM by gdurniak

File crashing during conversion fp5 to fp7

AnthonyLambert

I am converting 54 fp5 files to fp7 (using FileMaker 11) for a client, prior to ultimately converting to fmp12. 53 files have converted correctly. 1 file, however, crashes during the conversion, at the part where layouts are being converted. (I've checked the log and it successfully converts the value lists then nothing else; layouts are done after value lists.)

I've gone into the fp5 file, deleted half of the layouts, tried the conversion and it crashes. Unfortunately, when I take the original file and delete the other half of the layouts, it also crashes. So it doesn't seem to be a problem with one layout.

I have tried on Mac and Windows, with the same result.

I have run all of the 54 fp5 files through Metadata Magic (MDM) and there are no errors identified with layouts in the problem file. Just to elinimate absolutely anything that might be relevant, in my original conversion I used files in which the file references had been fixed using MDM. So I tried to convert the original of the problem file, ie the one that had *not* had its file references fixed, and it crashes at the same point.

The file works correctly in FileMaker 6: there is absolutely zero evidence of corruption. MDM does, however, record that it was recovered once in the past and has also been closed improperly sixteen times. I don't have development originals because this is not a database that we developed; it was either done in-house or by another developer (then modified extensively inhouse).

FMDiff doesn't throw up any issues (though as I say, I don't have a clean development original with which to compare).

Have I exhuasted all options? Does the file need to be rewritten in fp7 format?

Regards

Anthony Lambert

www.lambert-rubicon.com

• 1. Re: File crashing during conversion fp5 to fp7
          gdurniak

Recover it with FM 6,  then try converting the Recovered file

Also, go thru the layouts and remove any graphics

greg

> Have I exhuasted all options? Does the file need to be rewritten in fp7 format?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: File crashing during conversion fp5 to fp7
            wsvp

I remember having some issues with conversion, FM6 to FM7...  What I found is when FM8 came out, converting the same FM6 files worked fine.  I suspect that there were some problems with FM7 related to conversion.  It might be a good idea to try FM8-FM11 to do the conversion.

• 3. Re: File crashing during conversion fp5 to fp7
              RubenVanDenBoogaard

You could also try to save the file as compact, or clone to be sure that the integrity is ok.

If removing graphics from the layout does not work, clean out the whole layout, (but leave the layout in place), that way you are sure that there are no elements on the layout causing problems.

Hope that helps,

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

ruben@infomatics.nl

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: File crashing during conversion fp5 to fp7
                AnthonyLambert

Thanks Greg. I tried a recovered version of the file. I also tried deleting graphics from layouts. Neither course made any difference. Thanks for the suggestions though.

In a related aside, I have found your reference material on file recovery (http://fileshoppe.com/recover.htm) really useful over the years. (Assuming there's only one Greg Durniak, of course.)

Regards

Anthony Lambert

www.lambert-rubicon.com

• 5. Re: File crashing during conversion fp5 to fp7
                  AnthonyLambert

I'm already using FileMaker 11 and using a lower version, intuitively, doesn't seem like a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Regards

Anthony Lambert

www.lambert-rubicon.com

• 6. Re: File crashing during conversion fp5 to fp7
                    AnthonyLambert

Thanks Ruben. I tried all of that: copy, compressed copy and clone. In all instances, FileMaker 11 crashed during conversion.

The layouts thing is interesting, because I did the halving technique to try to start an iterisation process. In other words, I saved a copy of the file and deleted half of the layouts (1-11 out of 22). FileMaker 11 crashed during conversion. I then went back to the original, saved a copy and deleted the other half of the layouts (12-22). FileMaker 11 *again* crashed during conversion. So it was either something universal to all layouts that is causing the problem, or somehow the bit of the file that provides the structure for the layouts is itself damaged.

Regards

Anthony Lambert

www.lambert-rubicon.com

• 7. Re: File crashing during conversion fp5 to fp7
                      AnthonyLambert

SOLUTION

The solution in this case was a bit brute force and only viable because the number of layouts was relatively small (22). I created a copy of the database, created a brand new empty layout and deleted all original layouts. This copy then converted to fp7 format without a problem. I then manually copied all elements from the first layout in the unconvertable file to a brand new 'first layout' in the copy, tried conversion and it worked. I repeated this process for the other 21 layouts. Slightly laborious, and I still have a bit of work to do in FileMaker 11 (using Base Elements) to repair missing layouts in scripts, for example, but at least I now have a working fp7 format file.

Many thanks for all of your suggestions.

Regards

Anthony Lambert

www.lambert-rubicon.com

• 8. Re: File crashing during conversion fp5 to fp7
                        gdurniak

Thanks. I do keep adding to it. This month is the 10th Anniversary of the "Guide to Recover"

greg

> In a related aside, I have found your reference material on file recovery (http://fileshoppe.com/recover.htm) really useful over the years