7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2013 12:05 AM by ozgobo

12.0.5 update appears successful, but FMP is still at 12.0.4

ozgobo

Hi All,

A newbie to FMPro, upgrading from Bento 4 which I loved. Interesting given I'm an MS SQL DBA. Anyway, that isn't important. I've just run the updater for 12.0.5 and the routine completes and displays a success message but when I run FMP its still claiming to be at 12.0.4. Just to be sure, I did the check updates thing again and sure enough it tells me there is an update to 12.0.5 available. I've also checked the file version in Applications/FileMaker Pro 12 and its at 12.0.4. Just to make sure I wasn't going insane, I also ran the updater again with the same result.

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: 12.0.5 update appears successful, but FMP is still at 12.0.4
          taylorsharpe

Welcome to the world of FileMaker.  It is very different than MS SQL, but they can also compliment each other very well too. 

When you run the updater, you need to restart the computer.  After the restart, if you click about FileMaker, it will show 12.0v5.  If it is still showing v4, then the updater either did not work or, possilby, it updated another instance of the FileMaker application either elsewhere on that drive or maybe on another volume.  You need to make sure when you run the udpater to select the default FM app in your OS's application folder.  I run into this problem since I keep a Carbon Copy Clone of my OS on an attached external volume.  But I assure you when it updates, it will show the correct version. 

FYI, v5 is only needed if you're using Mac OS X 10.9 (Maverick), which is still in beta.  So you really only need it if you are a beta tester for the new Apple operating system. 

v5.jpg

• 2. Re: 12.0.5 update appears successful, but FMP is still at 12.0.4
            ozgobo

Hi Taylor,

Thanks for the welcome and the pointer.  I checked this morning as I shut the machine down last night and it was still at 12.0.4.  Just to be sure I ran the updater and restarted again with no joy.  I also checked to make sure it was updating on "Macintosh Harddisk" as I do have a couple of USB volumes attached and one of them is for Time Machine, which I dismounted before I ran the updater this time.  I even tried running the updater with FMP running and it complained.  I also dropped into Terminal and did a find for "FileMaker Pro" from root and the only one that came back was the one in the Applications folder.   No biggie as I'm not running Maverick, but I'm hoping I find a fix before it arrives

As an aside, I'm running on late 2009 27" iMac, 3GHz Core 2 Duo, 12Gb RAM, OSX 10.8.5

• 3. Re: 12.0.5 update appears successful, but FMP is still at 12.0.4
              dvaklyes

To give a contrary example, I ran the updater on my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.5. It updated BOTH FileMaker Pro 12.0v4 and FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.0v4 to 12.0v5 at the same time and never asked which one to update. Both apps show 12.0v5 with no system restart.

Now, although I have both Pro and Pro Advanced on the computer, I only have one instance of each. No backups hanging around. Multiple copies of the same application may be causing issues.

• 4. Re: 12.0.5 update appears successful, but FMP is still at 12.0.4
                PeterWindle

Wowie, I just started dowloading the whoppingly big 587 MB update, such a big update and it seems like this is only for Mavericks...? Is this true and if so, what are the consequences of NOT updating filemaker pro when upgrading to Mavericks??

• 5. Re: 12.0.5 update appears successful, but FMP is still at 12.0.4
                  ozgobo

Hi David,

I only have the one instance of FMP12 and thats it.  No prior versions, or other editions.

• 6. Re: 12.0.5 update appears successful, but FMP is still at 12.0.4
                    ozgobo

Hi Peter,

The page basically did indicate that it was an update to fix bugs when running on 10.9, but it didn't specify that you couldn't update it if you were using a previous version of OSX.  I was only installing it coz on the edge is just how I roll

I'm sorry, that was a poor joke and I'll not repeat anything like it ever again I promise.  I'm sure we'll hear about the bugs experienced in due course after Mavericks is realeased and a whole stack of people upgrade OSZ and then forget to update FMP, but at the moment I couldn't find anything.

• 7. Re: 12.0.5 update appears successful, but FMP is still at 12.0.4
                      ozgobo

I logged this in the bug forum and they gave me a good idea that worked.  I created a new admin user and ran the update under it.  Worked a treat.  There's clearly something wrong in my own user permissions or settings somewhere.  All good now.