2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2013 8:34 AM by LyndsayHowarth

How to display a Drop-down list to 'find" records in a sub-summary report?

wlegard

I've created a sub-summary report with all the fields in the Sub-summary part. The printed output looks great, but the fields are not visible in browse mode so I can't perform a find on any of the fields.

Is there a way to display a drop-down list so I can print subsets of data? Is there a combination of script steps (maybe attached to a button) that I could use to display a drop-down list and 'find the appropriate records? Do I need to run the script from another layout?

Thanks in advance,

Wilde

• 1. Re: How to display a Drop-down list to 'find" records in a sub-summary report?
          PeterWindle

You could place a field on the layout (in the header perhaps) for performing a search and simply apply the "Hide when printing" format on the field. I would also ensure that the field is not enterable in Browse mode.

If you wanted to get sophisticated, you can create a global field that allows you to type in text to search for and on that field attach a script trigger that tirggers once you have entered the text and exited the field. The script would simply grab the contents of that field, enter find mode then perform the find on a field, returning the results, so all you would need to do is select from the drop down list to perform a find, thus changing your found set.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to display a Drop-down list to 'find" records in a sub-summary report?
            LyndsayHowarth

Or you could do it with relationships.

A global field or two can filter the records for inclusion using that relationship.

The layout could be of the related table instance... therefore only ever show related records according to selections in the Global fields.

the layout or the table instance could be permanently sorted so that automatically after selection the data changes and resorts... and therefore uses the subsummary.

No scripts required ;-)

- Lyndsay

1 of 1 people found this helpful