12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2013 3:10 AM by AllegroDataSolutions

FMA 12 Startup Warning - Cannot Share Files on Web

AllegroDataSolutions

FMA 12.04 (running on Win 7 64-bit) has suddenly started displaying a warning dialog at startup, stating that files cannot be shared on the web and prompting me to change a port. I have never seen this message before. I have never changed any port settings. I am not sharing any files on the web. What's going on here?

• 1. Re: FMA 12 Startup Warning - Cannot Share Files on Web
          Mike_Mitchell

Check the Sharing settings (File > Sharing) for Instant Web Publishing. Most likely, the database in question has the sharing turned on for IWP and your computer doesn't like it (probably either because the firewall isn't configured for sharing or because some other program is using port 80). If you don't need to use IWP, you can turn it off.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: FMA 12 Startup Warning - Cannot Share Files on Web
            AllegroDataSolutions

Unfortunatelty, that's not the case. IWP is off, for that file.

• 3. Re: FMA 12 Startup Warning - Cannot Share Files on Web
              AllegroDataSolutions

Still no answer to this. The odd thing is that, when I use FMA 11. I am not getting the same warning. Nothing has changed about the ports on this computer, since the time I purchased it and installed both versions of FileMaker Advanced. Version 12 just started doing this on its own a few days ago and will not stop.

• 4. Re: FMA 12 Startup Warning - Cannot Share Files on Web
                Stephen Huston

If you go to File > Sharing in FMA12 with no file open, you will still find a sharing setting for the FileMaker Network, which you can set to OFF at the application level. This might affect your issue... or not.

• 5. Re: FMA 12 Startup Warning - Cannot Share Files on Web
                  Stephen Huston

Another thought... do you have FMServer installed on that computer? It runs in the background from startup, and can create some issues, particularly if more than one version is installed.

• 6. Re: FMA 12 Startup Warning - Cannot Share Files on Web
                    AllegroDataSolutions

I get the same dialog whether I open FMA with a file or with no file open.

Changing the Sharing setting with no file open has no effect.

Turning off sharing on a network (i.e. not using the web) has no effect either.

• 7. Re: FMA 12 Startup Warning - Cannot Share Files on Web
                      AllegroDataSolutions

I do not have FM Server installed on this or any machine on my LAN.

• 8. Re: FMA 12 Startup Warning - Cannot Share Files on Web
                        Stephen Huston

I am a Mac guy by choice, but in the Mac system settings under "Sharing" is an option to allow Web Sharing of files.

I suspect your version of Windows has a similar option which can be set via a Control Panel. If that is turned on, it might cause a message when FMA launched. Worth checking the control panels just in case.

• 9. Re: FMA 12 Startup Warning - Cannot Share Files on Web
                          AllegroDataSolutions

If that were the case, the error message would have been displaying all along and would be showing up when I start FMA 11, as well.

This machine is not being used as a web server. There is no machine on my network that is sharing files on the web and never has been. I have never set any parameter for web sharing or a specified a port for web sharing.

No other application is showing this error dialog, except FMA 12 -- and only for the last couple of weeks. It simply started doing this on its. It does it every single time I start the application and nothing that I am able to change in FileMaker will allow me to turn it off (except specifiying a different port number, which I haven't tried, because I have no idea of what to change it to or if it will affect anything else on my system).

• 10. Re: FMA 12 Startup Warning - Cannot Share Files on Web
                            AllegroDataSolutions

This is the only reference I see to the issue in the FMP support site -- and it is identified as a Mac-only problem (though I am seeing it on Windows 7, 64-bit version). The dialog I see says the current port is 80. Very odd, since the support doc warns against using a port other than 80. I'd like to try port 591, but I can't find a where to change it in Win 7 like I could in Win XP. The Windows Firewall rules show FMA 12 is allowed. I want to see port numbers somewhere before I go changing this (to make sure doing so doesn't disable something more important, and so I can reverse it if it does). I don't like changing an OS parameter through FileMaker --- especially when it is affecting only version 12 and it has been happening only recently.

• FileMaker Pro
                            •    12.x
                            • FileMaker Pro Advanced
                            •    12.x

ISSUE:
                            Attempting to enable Instant Web Publishing in FileMaker Pro 12 (File > Sharing > Instant Web Publishing) fails with default Port 80 (even after turning off Apache).

You are presented with a port conflict error.

EXPLANATION:
                            FileMaker , Inc. is aware of this issue with the FileMaker products listed running on Mac OS X 10.7 Server.

Please note that FileMaker Pro 12 is not officially supported on Mac OS X 10.7 Server. Click here for system requirements.

Consider changing TCP/IP Port Number to 591. FileMaker, Inc. has registered port number 591 with the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) specifically for web publishing.

Important! If you use a port number other than 80, web users cannot access your database unless they append a colon, and the new port number, to your IP address (or domain name). For example, users would type 12.34.56.78:591 or http://accounts.yourcompany.com:591 in a web browser. Or you can provide access to the database from a link that contains the IP address and port number.

• 11. Re: FMA 12 Startup Warning - Cannot Share Files on Web
                              Mike_Mitchell

I realize this is frustrating. I have over 11,000 users at our site, most on Win 7. I've not heard of this issue, other than in a few instances where they are trying to share a DB via IWP (which is a violation of company policy anyway). It makes me think there's either something about your particular setup on Windows, or something corrupted in your FileMaker install.

I suggest double-checking to make sure you don't have any web-related services running, or that your firewall isn't attempting to block port 80. Barring that, perhaps a reinstall of FileMaker.

But the message makes sense. The default is port 80. The message "warning" is just that you have to append the port number if you use a different port, which is normal.

• 12. Re: FMA 12 Startup Warning - Cannot Share Files on Web
                                AllegroDataSolutions

Again: no web sharing here. No hosting, not of FMP or anything else. Never has been, never will be. I don't even have a fixed IP address. I just develop FMP databases, as I have been for about 20 years. My clients host them on their own servers. Some share them on WANs, which I am given access to, to troubleshoot. Only one is hosting IWP, but I haven't accessed it in months and the client controls sharing through his host.

This is affecting only my copy of FMA 12, and only on my development pc. FMA 12 on my Mac is unaffected. FMA 11 on the pc is unaffected. No other programs are affected. Only FMA 12 and only within the last couple of weeks. I haven't changed any settings since buying the pc, shortly after FMA 12 was released. And I haven't changed any port settings on this machine, ever.