7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 6:07 PM by strngr12

Export Field Contents Error

strngr12

I have a file with a containor field. In the container field is a file I would like to move to a user's local drive. The script works fine for me on my comp, but when run on someone else's I get "Could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk."

I tried having them unlock their disk which they did, but still got the same error. Because they were able to unlock the disk it is implied taht they have administrator privileges. The container field is only referenced in the script that moves the file and not in any other fields so the "unstored calculation field" also doesn't apply.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: Export Field Contents Error
          taylorsharpe

Permissions will always be required based on the folder it is being saved into.  And jsut because you have administrator's privileges does not mean you can save into every folder.  It just means you can override the warnings or redefine the security. 

Certain folders are designed to have access from the user that is logged in and it is best to default the folder you are saving into one of these folders.  They are the TEMP folder, the DOCUMENTS folder and the DESKTOP.  If you use other folders, you will need to manage the groups and permissions (either POSIX, ACL, or whatever) to make sure they can save there. 

Remember different operating systems will format the paths to folders differently.  FileMaker helps you out by figuring this out for you if you use the following functions:  Get ( DesktopPath )  or get ( DocumentsPath ). 

So to save to the Documents folder, create a formula of Get ( DocumentsPath ) & "filename"

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export Field Contents Error
            strngr12

Thanks again, Taylor.  In this case the user should be able to move the file though.  I'm trying to drop it in the Bash path at /usr/local/bin/ which should be available to any logged in user, shouldn't it?

• 3. Re: Export Field Contents Error
              taylorsharpe

What are the permissions for this folder?  I know you are assuming the user has access.  Are the permissions POSIX?  ACL?  What groups, person, and everyone settings are for the folder.  What is the user that is saving the file and what groups do they belong to?  There are assumptions of which folders should always be available to a user, but sometimes those options aren't accurate.  So you really need to look at the permissions.  And while it is hard to believe, I've run into someone with a permissions error that could not save to their own Document folder.  You can write a script that checks multiple locations to save to and if it errors, to try another location.  Or you can have a server location where you control the ACL's and only allow people to run save to a folder that matches their Active Directory authorization group in FileMaker.  Of courese that assumes you're not using FileMaker security, but it is how the enterprise level of database management handles things.  Once you get used to using external authorization (Active Directory and Open Directory), lots of things are better managed as groups.  But this can spawn a whole discussion on security. 

• 4. Re: Export Field Contents Error
                strngr12

Thanks for this.  Unfortunately this is a remote client on their own system so that level of analysis is out of my reach.  However, I think I can go with a script that tests several paths and then just move it where I need it with shell commands through AppleScript.

Thanks for all your help.

Dan

• 5. Re: Export Field Contents Error
                  taylorsharpe

The usual permissions error I find is that some people are on Macs and others are on Windows and the paths are different.  So just make sure to format accordingly for both platforms by testing the system version they are running.  Best of luck!

• 6. Re: Export Field Contents Error
                    taylorsharpe

Check out the Documents path function at http://www.filemaker.com/12help/html/func_ref2.32.28.html   It has several path examples.  Another good resource from Goya is at:  http://www.goya.com.au/blog/guide-filemaker-import-paths

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Export Field Contents Error
                      strngr12

The Get functions I got, but the Goya thing is very interesting.  I'm leaning toward that being what the problem actually was.  My workaround did work, but I'd rather just find an install location that is in the BASH path that works with Filvault.

Thanks again for all yoru help.