2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2013 12:01 PM by mgalloway

Slow Refresh Window with ODBC Connection

mgalloway

This is my first question here in the forum, so please be patient with my lack of familiarity. I use FM Pro 11 and have a FM database connected to MS SQL Server pulling data from a series of 4 views. These views are added to my FM database as tables. There are not a lot of records in these views (ranging from 2300-10,500). but when I refresh window to get the latest data it is taking 5 minutes to completely refresh. I have tried using the script step in different combinations, but it does not help. Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong.

I have been working as a self taught developer for several years, but this is my first experience connecting to ODBC data sources.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

• 1. Re: Slow Refresh Window with ODBC Connection
          Stephen Huston

This sounds like a typical network latency issue when connecting remotely (WAN) to a data source, FM or ODBC.

It's also possible that the number of views of your ODBC tables may be slowing the cache process on the network.

What is your network connection  to your ODBC source(s). Is any WAN connection involved, or is everything on your local wired network?

• 2. Re: Slow Refresh Window with ODBC Connection
            mgalloway

Thanks for the input. I have worked out a solution by reducing the number of fields on my view pulling to the list layout that only showed a few of those fields. Once we created a new view specifically for the list layout with only the fields we needed for that list it refreshed much faster.

I have been developing Filemaker databases for many years, but this is my first experience with connecting to SQL views/tables through ODBC connections. Needless to say I have learned a lot.

Your information was very helpful to me. Thank you very much.

Mark