2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2013 3:45 PM by artdoc

Mysteries of the Modal Windows

artdoc

Reading other messages about modal windows has me convinced my question is about as silly as it gets! But here goes...

I spent time yesterday trying for a good way to get a modal window to pop up for a simple A•B=C problem. I mean, could it be any easier? Enter two data chunks and get a result?

I had it working, but here's where the problem came up that I couldn't find a way to solve: I wanted a clean dialog box: title, close button, no scroll bars, no options. And using New Windw script did that...sort of. When I'd move my nice clean modal dialog window I'd find a second widow hiding behind it! That first widow was a standard window with all the features of a developer's window.

I switched to using a Move/Resize window and that actually came closer to what I wanted, but I never found a script step to remove the status line at the botton that allows changing from browse to layout, etc' I decided my customer would not notice or care, so I went to show him the new calculator. It didn't take him 30 seconds to ask what the stuff was along to bottom?

So this morning I gave up on modal windows and added a script to run an applescript, and it's pretty slick for at least two rasons: 1) it's always in the middle of the screen even as the estimate sheet scolls on to new portal rows, and 2) it's an easy Command+1 to call it so a button dosn't scroll out of view.

So as I said, a silly question! Have I not found the right way to create a new dialog to "skip" the first shadow window? I tried naming it then renaming the second one and closing the forst: did not work. Do I need to freeze the screen and do close window twice? Seems wrong!

And what the heck is that botton line of info called? and why can't I script it away?

So I will now play a bit with applescript to see if I can fiddle with the sizes of the window and the text, so my problem is actually solved, but I hate to not find out how I missed the boat with FM's dialogs. The styling is so much better.

Thanks,

Steve

PS: FM Prro Advanced 12.0v5, Mac OS 10.9

• 1. Re: Mysteries of the Modal Windows
          jbante

Do deal with your "shadow" window, can you show us the script your using that's getting you that result? That's weird. I haven't seen that before. I wonder if your script is just making 2 windows.

That "status line at the bottom" is the "Zoom Control Area." You can disable it when creating a window with the New Window or Go to Related Record script steps under the "Specify Advanced Style" option. I don't know any other opportunity FileMaker might give you to turn that off.

• 2. Re: Mysteries of the Modal Windows
            artdoc

Heck, the online discussion wouldn’t let me attach the file! You will see that the script (happy to say the hidden clone can be set to Layout more) still olds a disabled step for Resize window that I was trying.

Thanks for the “Zoom Control” info. I clearly was not thinking that.

STeve