1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2013 2:43 PM by njem

Thermometer goal chart?

njem

I need to make a goal and progress chart, like you often see for donation campaigns. Looks like a thermometer with a goal at the top and progress point as donations add up. I've had no luck trying to get the built-in charting to do that. Doesn't seem like an unusual charting need but I don't see a way to do it. Is there?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Thermometer goal chart?
          PeterWindle

something like this? (file enclosed)

• 2. Re: Thermometer goal chart?
            s

How does one keep the Y-axis from automatically growing? If you duplicate the last record for $20, the scale on the Y-axis changes from 150 to 200, and the thermometer level appears to go down. The thermometer will never fill up.

• 3. Re: Thermometer goal chart?
              PeterWindle

Set this option (see enclosed)

• 4. Re: Thermometer goal chart?
                erolst

Just for fun, here's a more colorful take on this …

• 5. Re: Thermometer goal chart?
                  njem

This has become an interesting challenge and it's not quite accomplished. Thanks for the samples, which looked like a homerun but fell just short of the wall. As long as there is only one dimension FM shows one therm column. We have team members gathering donations. For each team member I need to show a therm of their collected donations. The moment you do that FM wants to show a column for every member no matter what you do. I hope I've missed how to do this.

So table:collectors relates to table:donations. For a given collector I want FM to show one column. In the attached I've tried everyway I can think of to trick it into doing that. In layout one it's almost right except it's showing a column for each collector. It seems to me that's an FM error because in list view a given record should be showing me info related to that record. It shows the total donations and count of donations just for that collector as it should, and the chart should chart just donations for that related collector. Or chart the summary:total field as it's set to do. Instead it shows as many columns as there are collectors.

In layout three I tried to fool it. If a table has only one record FM will give a 1-column chart. So I tried to make a 1-record table in which the "total" field is a calculation reflecting the summary "total" field in donations, hoping it would only pick up the summary for the related CollectorID. But it either shows one column that is the total of all donations, or just the total for the first Collector and not others. I tried the portal I put on layout three, have tried dummy field relationships, globals on either side of the relathionship, "X" show all relationship, nothing gets it right. Any other ideas?

Thanks

• 6. Re: Thermometer goal chart?
                    erolst

From Collectors, create a calculation field cSumDonations as Sum ( Donations::amount ), then create a self-join for Collectors via collectorID and use Collectors_selfjoin::cSumDonations for the chart option “Related Records”

• 7. Re: Thermometer goal chart?
                      njem

That works!

A self join and then access it not normally via the relationship but via related records. I wish FM would define these terms, explain what's going on under the hood, as a programmer would understand, because it would never have occurred to me that related records would access it any differently than the simple relationship does. I mean, records linked by a relationship, in my mind, means related, but obviously there's something a little different going on under the hood in these two cases. If I knew what that was I could have saved a lot of time and thought in the first place, oh, the way FM works what I need to do here is...

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Thermometer goal chart?
                        njem

Erolst & Peter, it sure seems FM charting is broken. I was happy to have it working, then looked at it via IWP, and it's broken. The idea is to encourage the donation collectors because they can check on their smart phone anytime what donations have come in, how their goal is coming, and how other are doing, and make it graphic because it's fun to check. What works perfectly in FM, in IWP each record in list view shows the right numbers for the given collector, but the chart is right for the 1st record and then just repeats for each subsequent record like it's stuck. See 1st layour "Collectors" in the attached. I tried to trick it by a different arrangement that would put it in a portal, see layout 2 "Portal". Besides showing multiple bars, it shows the chart in the first portal, and then just doesn't show any chart in the subsequent portals. In both cases, that just ain't right.

• 9. Re: Thermometer goal chart?
                          njem

Erolst & Peter, it sure seems FM charting is broken. I was happy to have it working, then looked at it via IWP, and it's broken. The idea is to encourage the donation collectors because they can check on their smart phone anytime what donations have come in, how their goal is coming, and how other are doing, and make it graphic because it's fun to check. What works perfectly in FM, in IWP each record in list view shows the right numbers for the given collector, but the chart is right for the 1st record and then just repeats for each subsequent record like it's stuck. See 1st layour "Collectors" in the attached. I tried to trick it by a different arrangement that would put it in a portal, see layout 2 "Portal". Besides showing multiple bars, it shows the chart in the first portal, and then just doesn't show any chart in the subsequent portals. In both cases, that just ain't right.

• 10. Re: Thermometer goal chart?
                            erolst

njem wrote:

See 1st layour "Collectors" in the attached

No attachment.

• 11. Re: Thermometer goal chart?
                              erolst

Seems that IWP is a tricky beast. I toyed with my repetition field idea and got this:

RepetitionsGraphInIWP.png

• 12. Re: Thermometer goal chart?
                                njem

Thought I did attach, but I've added it to that post now. You may be going in a similar direction I'm resigning to. Since in this case the user gets there by button and script, and since only a half dozen need to show at a time, I'll have a script walk through the pertinant records, collect the values into variables, create a layout with 6 graphs, spoon feed them data, and I assume that will work. I'll try it in a little bit. Certainly wouldn't work in other situations. I've opened an "isn't this a bug?" ticket. Will see what they say.

• 13. Re: Thermometer goal chart?
                                  Stephen Huston

Caveats, just in case:

• Be sure to set your scripting window to show IWP compatible steps if you intend this script to run in IWP. There are quite a few common script steps which don't run in IWP because browsers won't support everything FMP does.
                                  • The sorted order of your found set is also critical for single charts from multiple records, and, in IWP, you cannot rely on script triggers to handle sorting and many other triggered behaviors.
                                  • 14. Re: Thermometer goal chart?
                                    steve_ssh

Hello Njem,

Is this UI to be accessed exclusively through IWP, or is part of the objective to have a single layout which can serve as a UI both via FM client as well as IWP ?

Also, do I understand correctly that each collection person needs to have their own "thermometer" graph which shows their progress towards their particular goal, and that part of the objective here is to be able to display these thermometers more than one per screen, so that a collector can log in and see, at a glance, a screen that shows not only their progress, but also the progress of their colleagues?

Best regards,

-steve

1 2 Previous Next