12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2013 4:58 AM by fourier48

Crashes following upgrade to Mavericks

rhs

Has anyone else experieinced FMP Adv 12 crashing following an updgrade to Mavericks. Seems to happen to me in all databases when I try to add a PDF file to a container.

• 1. Re: Crashes following upgrade to Mavericks
          regor

Hoi, I have an iMac running Mavericks and FM12 pro advanced. To import Word files in a container field, I can only import the "reference to the file" in order to be able to open it. For PDF files, I can import the file (Acrobat Reader 11.0.04 or Writer 8.3.1) and open it without any problems.
          But, I have a problem with "open remote"  as I can no longer see, and thus connect to, the shared files (as I could with Mountan Lion). Has anyone already come up with a solution?

• 2. Re: Crashes following upgrade to Mavericks
            RonSmithMD

Hi, RHS.

I would take a look at your plugins. If you have a routine that installs plugins from within a table in your database, you can end up with the same plugin in both the personal extensions space for FileMaker and the Application folder. Here are the directory entries on my Mac.

/Applications/FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced/Extensions

/Users/ron/Library/Application Support/FileMaker/FileMaker Pro Advanced/12.0/Extensions

You will experience crashes if you have copies of the same plugin in both places.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

• 3. Re: Crashes following upgrade to Mavericks
              rhs

I think I have resolved this by uninstalling Adobe reader but the problem did only begin when i upgraded to mavericks.

• 4. Re: Crashes following upgrade to Mavericks
                RonSmithMD

This is perfectly understandable. There may not have been a problem with this in your previous operating system.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

• 5. Re: Crashes following upgrade to Mavericks
                  Malcolm

Yes, FMPro would crash on launch. I installed this Java update and the problem disappeared.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572

malcolm

• 6. Re: Crashes following upgrade to Mavericks
                    rhs

It wasnt crashing on launch, only when I tried to add a PDF file or when moving from one record to another which had a pdf in a container field, it didnt happen in a database with no pdf container field in.

Thanks for all your responses.

• 7. Re: Crashes following upgrade to Mavericks
                      swany

I had the same problem with crashes when adding or viewing PDFs through container fields. The problem started with the upgrade to Mavericks and FMP 12.0 v5. Deleting Adobe Reader solved the problem. But you lose the options that Adobe Reader provides to navigate PDFs in the container field and are left with just Preview.

• 8. Re: Crashes following upgrade to Mavericks
                        andruziwa

Swany,

thank you for tying me into this thread.

I removed Adobe and FM would not recognize Preview so it wouldn't open any PDF documents from container fields.  I just asked me to select a PDF viewed and Preview was not selectable.  I did some searching around and found out how to set Preview as the defaul PDF software for Mac but that still didn't help.  I rebooted a few times, still no luck.  When I reinstalled Adobe it worked again but still would crash about every 2-3 times I tried to open a PDF document from a container field.

Do you have advice on how to get FM to recognize Preview as the PDF viewer once Adobe is deleted?

• 9. Re: Crashes following upgrade to Mavericks
                          RonSmithMD

Try selecting any PDF and then choose Get Info. Then choose Preview. Then choose Change All.

See if you can't open PDFs now like you want.

Ron

• 10. Re: Crashes following upgrade to Mavericks
                            swany

Also check if the layout object that displays the container field is optimized for PDF (in the Inspector, Data tab, Data Formatting section).

• 11. Re: Crashes following upgrade to Mavericks
                              andruziwa

I set Preview to be the default using RonSmith's suggestion and verified that the container fields are optimized for PDF display but the crashing still happens, and only on mavericks with Adobe.  I have another computer that is on Mavericks using preview.  There is some kind of problem when Adobe is installed, even if you delete it, FM doesn't default to Preview.  (even when it is selected as the default for the computer).

I'm going to uninsutall FM12.5 and reinstall it when Adobe is deleted and see if this resolved the issue and allows FM to link to Preview.

• 12. Re: Crashes following upgrade to Mavericks
                                fourier48

I had the same problem; you have to remove the Adobe plugins AdobePDFViewer.plugin and Adobe PDFViewerNPAPI.plugin from the library. Probably these are not removed if you uninstall Acrobat (Reader).

In my case that solved the problem.