7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 11:27 AM by embeco

How do i save a button?

embeco

How can I save a custom built button so I can use it in different databases?

• 1. Re: How do i save a button?

Hi embeco,

My suggestion is that you make a Resources.fmp database and keep the button there. Copying and pasting it between layouts and between files could be the simplest way of adding the carefully crafted button to any new layout.

I hope that helps,

John

• 2. Re: How do i save a button?
            Stephen Huston

Keep in mind that trying to reuse a button in new places won't necessarily carry with it any of its functionality -- just its appearance.

Unless, of course, it is programmed to perform a simple Script STEP which doesn't reference the schema. Any other programming will require cleanup to match it to a local script or file piece once you have placed it in the new file.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do i save a button?
              embeco

Thanks. I just assumed that the functionality would go with it.I am designing applications for users that don't have access to the Filemaker menus so I have to provide transportation buttons such as next record, last record, etc. Thanks for your reply.

• 4. Re: How do i save a button?
                Stephen Huston

Simple button functions built as a Script Step only, without referencing scripts or fields (ie Go To Record [next, previous, etc]) would probably travel with it OK between files.

It's buttons which Set Field, Perform Script, etc. which reference things in the local file by way of FileMaker's internal structural IDs that will have to be reworked every time.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How do i save a button?
                  embeco

John, I currently have these buttons in one database and, maybe it is because I am using FMP 12 on Windows, I can't open both databases at the same time. Maybe I am missing something (it wouldn't be the first time). Thanks for your reply.

• 6. Re: How do i save a button?
                    Stephen Huston

You can open multiple files in FMP at the same time just by double-clicking one, then returning to the directory window without closing FMP and double-clicking the other file.

Once you have done that, the Window Menu in the FM menu bar should allow you to switch among the various open files.

However, if your files are running in Kiosk mode or have Custom Menus which lack the Window menu item, then you may run into some real awkwardness navigating between them.

• 7. Re: How do i save a button?
                      embeco

Stephen,  Hey, thanks for that. It should do the trick. Thanks again.