lkeyes

Adding supplementary fields to an  ESS table layout

Discussion created by lkeyes on Nov 8, 2013
Latest reply on Nov 11, 2013 by LSNOVER

Brain Cramp!

I'm just starting to work with a mySQL database to which I've attached via ODBC. using FMA for Windows. Works great. I've created a layout that includes, a master person table, and portals for a related address table and a purchase table, which shows whether the person has multiple addresses (they shouldn't) and their purchase history.

Now I'm finding that I'd like to add some supplementary fields to the layout that would be specific just to this FM application and specifically to the person data . (I don't have ALTER TABLE rights to the mySQL database in any case to create the fields there). Example: I just want a flag checkbox for persons that I think have multiple person records for future merging into a single person record.

I'm thinking that I can create a new FM table for these fields, with a 1-1 relationship on the personID, add the table to the relationship tab, and go on merry way to add the field(s) to the existing layout. If I did this, however, I'd somehow havet to get the personIDs loaded into the new table before starting, and then ensure that if I inserted a new person into the person table that their personID would also be inserted into the FM table.

Is this a reasonable approach?

By the way, I cobbled together this FM layout as a replacement for a unbelievably clunky set of PHP screens. Took about 20 minutes to get the basics down with the relationships and to display everything. Very cool. It also displays pretty well on my iPad when being shared from the workstation.

--- Larry

Outcomes