2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2013 8:00 PM by mikebeargie

ODBC Driver Installation on Windows7 in Filemaker 11

pedantic

Hello Everyone:

I have a database on the Mac side that management has decided needs to run on the Windows side as well

and I am the programmer they have tapped to make it happen.

On the Mac side the database had four external data sources that were connected through ODBC to MySQL.

I moved the database over to the Win7 side and began working on the problem. Here is what I have

done to attempt to get a MySQL ODBC connection:

1. 1.) I downloaded mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.7-win32.msi from the MySQL archive (I also did this with the

win64 version as well).

1. 2.) I installed the connector, selecting the "typical" installation.
      2. 3.) I went to Control Panel/System and Security/Administrative Tools and double-clicked "Data Sources."
      3. 4.) I selected the System DSN tab.
      4. 5.) I clicked the "Add" button. When I installed the 32-bit program no MySQL driver appeared. When

I installed the 64-bit version I saw only one choice that made any sense:

MySQL ODBC 5.1 Driver, version 5.01.07.00.

I selected that driver and clicked "Finish."

1. 6.) The MySQL Connector/ODBC dialog appeared. I filled in the appropriate information and

clicked the Test button. A dialog appeared saying, "Test successful." I clicked "OK" and "OK,"

which took me back to the OS.

1. 7.) I then opened up Filemaker 11 and loaded the database. I logged myself in as someone with full access.
      2. 8.) I accessed File/Manage/Manage External Data Sources where all the external data sources are

listed from the Mac version.

1. 9.) I selected a name and clicked on the Edit button.
      2. 10.) The Edit Data Source dialog showed up. Everything looked fine until I clicked the "Specify" button

for the DSN field. The only DSN listed in the table that appeared was a Micrsoft Access driver.

I also attempted to create a brand new entry thinking that it might have something to do with the

old external data sources being Mac data sources. It made no difference.

Why isn't my MySQL driver showing up in the DSN list and what must I do to make it show up?

TIA!

John