9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2013 5:03 PM by bigtom

Vertical scrolling portal with 4-5 rows in width.

bigtom

I have a need to use a conditional scrolling matrix of container fields containing images. This will make the final field of a conditional list much easier for FMGo users since they can make a choice visually.

Essentially 4-5 vertical portals linked together. I do not really want to use a repeating field as that will make managing the images a hassle. If anyone has some idea how I can get this to work it would be appreciated. I am not seeing how I can make this work.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Vertical scrolling portal with 4-5 rows in width.
          Mike_Mitchell

Hello, bigtom.

If I understand your question correctly (not sure what you mean by a "conditional scrolling matrix"), you could create what you want using a few different techniques:

1) Assuming the portal looks into a related table, you can either use a single container per record or a series of containers (however many you want per row). In the first case, you can set up a number of portals, with the first X portals having a fixed number of rows (however many will fit on the layout) and the last one scrolling to show the remaining number of records. Do this using the "Initial row" and "Number of rows" features of the portal object:

initialRow.jpg

If you use X container fields, you can just set them side by side and scroll a single portal.

2) You can use X container fields and a list view, rather than a portal, if that suits better (using a triggered Find, for example).

3) A Web Viewer can be used with some HTML / PHP code to produce a similar effect. This may not work well with Go if the solution is not hosted, however.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Vertical scrolling portal with 4-5 rows in width.
            bigtom

Mike,

I have considered the web viewer as a last option.

I need the portal result to be conditional on some previous selections and pulling data from a virtual value list. I would prefer the the portal to display an entirely full row of results. With the repeating container I can set  one repeating container per row, but this does waste some space. For example, wheels from the same manufacturer in different styles then wheels of the same style but in a different sizes. If a certain wheel has three sizes to select and the row is five wide two spaces are wasted space. So more than one record per row.

I looked into the cross tabular way of doing this with repeating fields and a calculation for the portal results, but I got the portal images displaying as the filename and not the image.

I guess I will keep trying things until I get it to work.

Thanks for taking some time to throw some ideas my way.

• 3. Re: Vertical scrolling portal with 4-5 rows in width.
              Mike_Mitchell

You can set an array of portals, each one a single row and beginning with the next row in line, to accomplish this effect.

Your calculation idea should also work; did you specify "Container" as the calculation result?

Mike

• 4. Re: Vertical scrolling portal with 4-5 rows in width.
                bigtom

Mike,

The small detail I over looked was setting the calculation to return a container. So I now have the images showing in the portal using repeating containers. I would prefer to have one record per container not using repeating containers. I am not knowing how to create an array of portals and I did search around on how to do this.

Is that the the way I can continuously wrap the images to set one record per container in the portal. I am thinking I can do it with a script or few calculations to pull records from a VVL that contains only the records I want to display by setting the container to equal the the ID of the record I need.

I will get this figured out eventually.

Tom

• 5. Re: Vertical scrolling portal with 4-5 rows in width.
                  BruceRobertson

You do not need any repeats and you do not need any calculations.

You can just display the related images in the portal.

• 7. Re: Vertical scrolling portal with 4-5 rows in width.
                    BruceRobertson

This looks like something you may have pursued on another list.

It would be really helpful if you posted your file; or a clone of your file; or a simplified example of what you are trying to do.

At any rate, take a look at this example.

• 8. Re: Vertical scrolling portal with 4-5 rows in width.
                      bigtom

I tried to simplify this and I am just not seeing how this works so easily. I must be missing something.

I want the images to populate from left to right  for each row with each image being from its own record. So far I have been able to get repeating fields to work with one field per row. Some of the recoeds have 5 images per repeating field and some have 1 leaving 4 containers empty and wasting space. I also have been able to get the same image to repeat across the row, which is not useful at all.

I think I might need to do up a small sample of what I am looking for exactly so you can visually see what I am looking to do.

I do appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out.

• 9. Re: Vertical scrolling portal with 4-5 rows in width.
                        bigtom

Bruce,

I did ask about this on another site and received no response about the problem I was having with the containers showing the image name and not the image itself.

I will make a simplified example and get it to you to take a look. Your example is pretty useful but I am looking to have the four portals for image selection to be scrolling instead of moving from page to page with static portals. I will get into it more in a bit.

Thanks