3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2013 4:10 PM by Mike_Mitchell

"Strict standards" and the PHP API

Mike_Mitchell

Good day, all. The hosting provider for one of my web sites recently updated to version 5.4 of PHP. To my unpleasant surprise, this caused a number of errors to appear on the front page of the web site, all of them conforming to the general pattern of "Strict standards: The method {umptysquat} should not be called statically; $this will be assumed, error at {pathname and line number}." Having done a bit of digging, it appears you're supposed to instantiate an object before calling these methods under "strict standards". However, all such methods appear in the API (most notably, the IsError() method). I really don't have a good handle on how that's to be done.

Is there someone smarter than I who's run into this particular niggle? A quick search reveals this is apparently related to stack overflow, which does trigger a bit of a concern about potential security vulnerabilities. Obviously, suppressing error reporting stops the messages, but that's a bit like not going for blood labs because you don't want to know about your high cholesterol.

TIA

Mike