AnsweredAssumed Answered

Related field is hit and miss

Question asked by strngr12 on Nov 14, 2013
Latest reply on Nov 15, 2013 by strngr12

I have two tables in a database. They are related by a single relationship, table1::setup = table2:setup.

I have a calculation in the first table, description = Case ( camera = "A" ; table2::descriptionAcamera ; camera = "B" ; table2::descriptionBcamera ).

The problem is that calculation sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and I can't figure why it's hit and miss. For some records, when the camera in table 1 is "A," I get the description in that record. Sometimes I do not.

The descriptions in table 2 for both cameraAdescription and cameraBdescription are never blank when they shouldn't be. I have checked for any invisible characters that might be throwing it. I have changed it so that description = descriptionBcamera and I get all the descriptions populated even in the A camera records as would be expected with that calculation. Then I changed it to description = descriptionAcamera and got no descriptions on any of the fileds that matched the setup.

However, with fields that have a different setup value, the description = Case ( camera = "A" ; table2::descriptionAcamera ; camera = "B" ; table2::descriptionBcamera ) works fine.

I know this sounds complicated so I'll try to break it down.

table1::setup = table2:setup

description = Case ( camera = "A" ; table2::descriptionAcamera ; camera = "B" ; table2::descriptionBcamera )

10 fields in table 1 have a setup value of 110. Every field has either a B or an A value for camera, never both. If the value is B, it's get a description from the B camera field of table 2. If the camera is A, it does not get a value for the description. Table 2 does have a description in its A camera field.

10 fields in table 1 have a setup 122. Same as above, evey field has either an A or B camera value, never both. If the record has an A camera value it gets its description. If the camera value is B it does not. Table 2 does have a description in it's B camera field.

10 fields in table 1 have a setup 63. Same as above, evey field has either an A or B camera value, never both. The calculation above works fine for all records whether A or B camera.

I'm at a complete loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Outcomes