12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2014 9:32 AM by aÿd

Runtime bug in 12.0.5 Mac

argwallace

Hello,

I have been developing a solution for Mac users using the Runtime application. Since version 11, I have been using an Applescript command which creates events in the Calendar (iCal) application. This has workd without issue, even into version 12. Howeverm since upgrading to Mavericks and updating the Runtime engine to 12.0.5. I have found that the applescript command is producing a delay of almost a minute to run. When I run the same command from my FMA12 for Mac, it works just fine. I've recreated the runtime and can verify that it continues to happen. Also, when I run the syntax from the AppleScript Editor, it works just fine as well, returning no errors. The only error comes from within the Runtime.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I notice that in the Activity Monitor a process called "tcdd" spikes. This seems to be related to the contacts permissions database. I gave rebuilt this, stil to no avail. It seems it would need to be related to the calendar, not the contacts. Quite frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. We have approxiamtely 650 users for the runtime all on my Mac for our organization.

Regards,

Stephen

• 1. Re: Runtime bug in 12.0.5 Mac
          TomHays

You describe seeing the delay after you did two things: upgraded to Mavericks and updated to FMPA 12.0.5. It would be helpful to figure out if one or both of these things is playing a role.

I recommend more test scenarios such as the ones below.

(1) Create a new user account under Mavericks. Test your 12.0.5 runtime for the delay there.

(2) Test your 12.0.5 runtime on a different machine running Mavericks.

(3) Test your 12.0.5 runtime on Mac OS X 10.8 or earlier.

(4) Test a 12.0.4 or earlier runtime on the new user account under Mavericks.

(5) Test a 12.0.4 or earlier v12 runtime on Mac OS X 10.8 or earlier.

-Tom

• 2. Re: Runtime bug in 12.0.5 Mac
            argwallace

Thanks, Tom.

I'll do this and report back my findings.

Stephen

• 3. Re: Runtime bug in 12.0.5 Mac
              argwallace

Ok, here is what I have found out:

(1) Create a new user account under Mavericks. Test your 12.0.5 runtime for the delay there.

- Issue persists as before.

(2) Test your 12.0.5 runtime on a different machine running Mavericks.

- Don't have access to a seconday machine with Mavericks but I can consult our beta team further.

(3) Test your 12.0.5 runtime on Mac OS X 10.8 or earlier.

- Tested and the issue goes away and works as before using 12.0.5

(4) Test a 12.0.4 or earlier runtime on the new user account under Mavericks.

- Issue persists.

(5) Test a 12.0.4 or earlier v12 runtime on Mac OS X 10.8 or earlier.

- Issue goes away.

Any thoughts how to proceed? I will try to get an answer to number 2 ASAP.

Stephen

• 4. Re: Runtime bug in 12.0.5 Mac
                TomHays

My best guess at this point is that something changed with Applescript or the AppleScript support of Contacts database under Mavericks (Mac OS X 10.9).

The fact that you experience different behavior with the FMPA 12 and the AppleScript editor vs. the Runtime suggests to me that it may be related to the security model running on Mavericks. It could be that the Runtime isn't trusted enough to run AppleScript, or run it quickly. Perhaps it is going through additional vetting before letting the command run.

Try loosening up the "Allow apps" privilege in Mavericks and try again to see if it is related to a permissions issue.

System Preferences... --> Security & Privacy --- Allow apps downloaded from: Anywhere (instead of the other stricter choices).

-Tom

• 5. Re: Runtime bug in 12.0.5 Mac
                  argwallace

Thanks again for your repsonse. I am unsure as to why the "tcdd" or the contacts database is even accessed since the applescript command I am sending only deals with the Calendar app. Perhaps this are related in some way. I don't get a window to allow access to the Contacts as I did when I first ran the script and it asked me about Calendar. In the privacy area, I see my runtime as authorized to access Calendar but since it has never been asked, the contacts doesbn't have the runtime listed there.

I did try to loosen the security and the result was the same, a long delay but it eventually works. I just heard back from one of our beta testers and the issue is present on their 10.9 machine as well with the same delay (a little longer actually) and with "tcdd" also spiking in CPU usage.

I am unsure where to turn from here.

Stephen

• 6. Re: Runtime bug in 12.0.5 Mac
                    argwallace

Would anyone else have some idea where I could look to go from here? I have tested the issue on multiple machines and it is persistent with the 12.0.5 version of FM Runtime for Mac and happens on OS 10.9. Sounds like a bug somewhere.

Thanks.

Stephen

• 7. Re: Runtime bug in 12.0.5 Mac
                      argwallace

I am curious if this issue persists with an FMA13 runtime. I haven't purcahsed the software yet so I am wondering if this issue has been addressed at all.

• 8. Re: Runtime bug in 12.0.5 Mac
                        argwallace

After multpiple tests, I can only conclude that the Runtime is throwing up some security flag in Mavericks, not allowing my AppleScripts to run properly. I conclude this because the scripts work fine within FMA12 but when called from the Runtime, I get these errors. During the errors, the tccd process which is related to the Contacts database security settings spikes and takes well over a minute to get resolved.

Any thoughts?

• 9. Re: Runtime bug in 12.0.5 Mac
                          TomHays

Perhaps you can test it in the new Mac OS X 10.9.1 and hope that behaves better?

-Tom

• 10. Re: Runtime bug in 12.0.5 Mac
                            argwallace

I was hoping for the same but alas to no avail. Error persists in 10.9.1...

• 11. Re: Runtime bug in 12.0.5 Mac
                              argwallace

And it still continues in FMA13 for Mac.

• 12. Re: Runtime bug in 12.0.5 Mac
                                aÿd

We can just expect a bug fix in next version of FM 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5661974