6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2013 7:50 AM by DavidJondreau

Conditional layouts

bigtom

I am working on a FMGo layout. I do not really want to keep jumping layouts. The screen space is valuable. There are a series of conditional value list popups. The thing is not all the fields are needed for each record depending on the first value selction. The fact is some of them need to be different fields entirely. I could jump through tabs, but it would be nice to have the actual fields be conditional on the layout.

I am guessing this may not be possible at all but I figured I would ask. I have not gotten this to work.

For example, if you first had a selection of "car" or "truck" and you selected "car" you would get all the popups relating to make, model, and such. If you selcted "truck" fields for payload capacity and towing capacity would be availble to select, but they are not on the layout when "car" is selected.

• 1. Re: Conditional layouts
          intex

currently you will have to do different layouts - you can only hide fields visually, but if they are in your tab order, users will step into these hidden fields, which is no good.

• 2. Re: Conditional layouts
            bigtom

Does that happen with fields outside the layout space? I could work out a global variable that displays the selection made by way of a click into a portal and store the data in a field outside the layout space. Maybe then I could use tabs. I will give it a shot anyway.

Is there any way to hide the fields based on conditions even if it is hazardous?

• 3. Re: Conditional layouts
              intex

you can hide fields with an empty text rectangle above them, which is conditionally formatted to have a white background or not.

• 4. Re: Conditional layouts
                Mike_Mitchell

You can also use the hidden portal trick. Define a self-joining relationship, where  the conditions of the join are based on when you want the field in question to appear. Then surround the object(s) with a single-row portal, no line, no scroll. When the condition is true, the object appears because there's a related record. When not, the object disappears because there's not.

HTH

Mike

• 5. Re: Conditional layouts
                  pminich

Depending on exactly what you are trying to accomplish you could use the a

combination of the case and evaluate functions to conditionally set the

fields that you would like based on prior selections.

-- iPad

Pete Minich

Direct/FaceTime/Text - 781.223.8884

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may

be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you

receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in

any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,

distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.

Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the

message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer

system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

• 6. Re: Conditional layouts
                    DavidJondreau

You can make your tabs "invisible" and use triggers to display the correct ones.