AnsweredAssumed Answered

FileMaker Server 5 running on Windows 7

Question asked by GerCat on Nov 20, 2013
Latest reply on Dec 8, 2013 by gdurniak

This is a real obscure problem I just ran into.

I have a client that is running FileMaker Server 5 on Windows 7 Pro.

there are 10 different databases

I developed them in 2002 and they have been running fine since then with a few minor changes since launch. They do one thing with the databases and that hasn't changed over the years.

I developed these databases on a Windows 2000 server

I put them on the Windows 7 Pro computer two years ago and they have been running without incident

There is three staff that access the databases

The databases have been backed up four times each day and the system is backed up once a day to removable hard drives. This has worked well as I get emails each day on the success or failure of the backup.

One week ago today the FileMaker Server 5 failed. It not only failed, it disappeared from the computer.

FMS 5 runs as a service and has a console to run in, but it was all gone, there was no indication it was ever on the computer.

There was a Windows update the previous evening (update Tuesday)

Now it gets bizarre,

The FMS software was gone,

The database files were intact, but the last entry was in 2010

I restored from backup, and the last entry was also in 2010

I looked on all the computers in the company and there were no FileMaker files with data more recent that 2010

If I were brought into look at this situation with out the history, I would say the files were not accessed after 2010, or they were using different files, or someone has gone through a lot of work to remove three years of records.

I am at a loss as to what to do next,

Outcomes