3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2013 6:39 PM by tesg

Trouble with different PDF file sizes on different machines when using save as PDF

tesg

Hi Guys,

I am having trouble with PDF file sizes when saving on different machines. I am currently using a MacBook running FileMaker Advanced Pro 12.01. When I save to PDF from FileMaker, the file comes out quite small, around 500kb-600kb which is perfect!!

The problem I am having is that most of the other machines in my business are saving exactly the same file to PDF, but the file does not eem to be compressing and the file size is coming out at approx 8.5Mb or something similar. This is not a good thing as the files get uploaded to a web service with a file size limit of 5mb.

The systems being used vary. There are multiple PC's running FM Pro 12.03 and another MacBook running FM Advanced Pro 12.05 all of which seem to be having the issue of saving the file without compression.

My MacBook has Adobe Acrobat X Pro installed which I though may have been the reason it was saving smaller PDF Documents so I installed Acrobat X Pro on the second MacBook with no reportable difference in file size.

Has anyone come across this issue before? I am at a loss to explain why this would be happening, and the only inconsistencies that I have not rectified with all systems is the FileMaker version installed!!

Please help!

Lloyd

• 1. Re: Trouble with different PDF file sizes on different machines when using save as PDF
          keywords

I have certailny noticed the issue of PDF files varying in size. I can't say for sure that it is FM related, although some of the files are created from FM. These are generally letters with some graphic component. Sometimes at least I have successfully compressed the pdf later in Acrobat Pro (save > reduced size), but of course that is an additional process you don't want in an automated system. If I come up with anything more I'll add to the post, and will also be interested in anyone else's experiences.

• 2. Re: Trouble with different PDF file sizes on different machines when using save as PDF
            filemaker_mmfg

Try to delete all Adobe preference files, in particular the files having name starting with "com.adobe."

Then restart the computer. If the problem remain, delete again the Adobe preference files and immediately restart the computer and reinstall FileMaker.

• 3. Re: Trouble with different PDF file sizes on different machines when using save as PDF
              tesg

Update:

I Have another PC running at home that had FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.0v1 installed. I went through the motions of saving to PDF and the file size was 463KB. I then ran the update taking the version to 12.0v4 and ran the save as PDF again on the exact same report, but the file generated was 3.34MB......that's nearly 700%!!!!

This particular PC has no PDF reading or writing software installed as it is mainly for games and the odd coding session so there would be no need to assume there are any other external influnces causing the issue.

My diagnosis.........PDF Compression has stopped working in between 12.0v1 and 12.0v3.