6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2013 4:21 PM by HershHiltonHead

View the contents of a folder on the server

HershHiltonHead

I have a hosted file that stores files inside a container field in a hosted solution. When I log on remotely I can insert a file into the container field. I have used Troi File Plugin to do a simple launch (Open) of folders on the client machines with no issues.

What I want to do is be able to view/open the contents of the folders on the server that were created when I stored the files externally. The files are routed to sub-folders created by the Group and Case Number of the item. (see atachment)

I don't know if I could create a "URL" from the path to the sever, or how to do this.

Any hints would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

Mark Hershinger

SCSFileMaker

• 1. Re: View the contents of a folder on the server
          taylorsharpe

Yes, you can use "Open URL [ "filepath/name" ] to open things (e.g., "C:/file.txt").  But opening them in a folder that being used for remote container storage is asking for problems because the file will get modified and appear to not be the valid file stored via remote container storage.  Also, managing your own folders sounds like a great idea at first.  But there are a lot of issues like managing the number of files in a folder and when to create subfolder.  If you don't do this properly, you'll end up with a very slow solution.  Unless you have a very pressing need to manage your own RC folders (e.g., used by a web page), then I recommend you reconisder and let FileMaker manage them for you and encrypt them too.  It may save you a lot of headaches down the road. 

• 2. Re: View the contents of a folder on the server
            HershHiltonHead

Thanks for the insight.  I am not trying to open the files in the folder, I just want to open the remote folder and see that the files are there.

The remote server is windows based, should my URL be "www.remote.server.name.com/files/solution/filename" or more like "www.remote.server.name.com/c:/files/solution/filename"

My client stores literally 1,000 of jpgs/picts/pdfs/xls" files since they are a Quality testing company.  I create the subfolders due to the shear number of files that have to be stored, hence the $Group folder/ CaseNumber concept.

We also are pushing these same files into DropBox and then grabbing the DBXURL after it resolves, via a custom plugin.

What even makes this more complex is that the firm is in Asia where there is slo connectivity and many dead spots, so Syncing is a also an issue.

Again any additional thoughts are very welcomed.

Thanks Again

Mark Hershinger

SCSFileMaker

mark@scsfilemaker.com

• 3. Re: View the contents of a folder on the server
              wimdecorte

Let me emphasize what Taylor is saying: don't mess with the folders that FMS creates to store container data.  In order to even view the folders they need to be shared and that opens the door for all sorts of potential problems that could very well end up breaking the solution.  Externally stored container data should only be managed by FMS and not exposed in any way through the OS & sharing.

• 4. Re: View the contents of a folder on the server
                HershHiltonHead

Thanks for your follow up.

I am not "messing" with the folders, they get created within the store option using the casenumber as the folder name within the container file storage directory.  Once the files are stored within those folders they are also moved to a DropBox folder and this also works well. It seems to me since FM gave us the option to specify the path what I am doing isn't out of the norm or possible.  I commissioned a plug-in from 360Works that then grabs the URL of the File within DBX and I store that in the record. This also seems to work well.  All I am trying to do here is figure the way to open the remote URL of the files as stored in the FM Server location, or am I wrong that the file(s) only resides on my local macine and not within the Hosted Solution?

• 5. Re: View the contents of a folder on the server
                  Stephen Huston

It seems to me since FM gave us the option to specify the path what I am doing isn't out of the norm or possible.

To reiterate what Wim and Taylor are saying, specifically regarding the options FM allowed us:

I specifically asked the head of FMI's container field engineering staff about this when 12 was new, and he was very clear that, in a served environment, secure storage should be used, and the entire storage structure shouldn't be shared or touched.

The option for open storage was intended for home-consumer-type users who might want to easily be able to copy photos, or similar content from their locally-stored content.

Any changes to the container storage structure in either case can cause the contents to be listed in the FM file as "tampered data" which may fail to display, and may compromise the records.

• 6. Re: View the contents of a folder on the server
                    HershHiltonHead

Stephen,

Thank you, that explanation makes perfect sense and to the point.