1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2013 1:03 PM by Stephen Huston

Opener file

maggiexu888

I read the nknowledge base article 5296 but I don't understand what kind of script need to be created for openr file.

We had FM pro 9 before, the user could open it automatically asking to enter user ID and passwrod.

After upgrade to FM pro 12, we had to use Open remote...the users wanted to opener file but I am not sure it is a batch file or FM file for this opener file?

Please advise how to enter OenFile["networkedfile"] ---does this need server name or server path for it?

• 1. Re: Opener file
          Stephen Huston

The local opener file on the client machine needs and external data reference to the target file on the server, complete with the server network address (numbers).

All the local script needs is an Open (file) script step refeencing that date file.

Set the file to open with a default account/password which WON'T match anything on the server.

I set up two scripts in the Opener file:

1. set ot run when the opener file's first window opens: Close file (the local file)
          2. set to run when the last window closes: Open the remote file, which references the served file.

This way the local user launches the opener on their local machine, it's window pops open, then closes quickly and the password screen for the served file appears.

• 2. Re: Opener file
            maggiexu888

Do you have step by steps instructions? I don’t see how to make it work.

Where to set it up? Under script tagging on FM  pro?

Thanks!

Margaret Xu

650-721-5479

• 3. Re: Opener file
              maggiexu888

But your web site didn’t tell me how to set it up. It uses batch file as a script or you have built-in script.

Our users are frustrated.

Thanks!

Margaret Xu

650-721-5479

• 4. Re: Opener file
                Stephen Huston

I'm very sorry, but it's unclear to me from your latest posts, just which part is unclear to you.

The Opener file is a separate FM file which is installed locally on each user's computer, not on the server. Once it is setup and tested, you can simply email it to the users who need it. There is no batchscript involved, just plain old vanilla FM scripts.

• The Opener file is set up to do nothing but run the scripts I mentioned before.
                • The external data reference is created by using the Open Remote process once during the scripting of the Open (file) script step to locate the hosted target file.
                • Both the OnFirstWindowOpen, and OnLastWindowClose script triggers in the Opener file are set in the File>File Options>Script Triggers submenus.

Can you convert and update the old Opener file you used in FM9? All it would need after conversion is to repoint it to the FMP12 server, if the server address changed.

• 5. Re: Opener file
                  timwhisenant

Hi Margaret,

You have two ways to direct a user to a hosted database, one is an opener as you seek, the other is a url shortcut.

The opener is a local filemaker file placed on each user’s computer, it’s sole purpose in life is to automate the open remote function and close itself. Build a new database, go to File>File Options, select the script triggers tab, check “OnFirstWindowOpen” click +, name your script, select “File”>”Open File” then also select “Close File”. Go to the Open File step and set the specify in the bottom right corner Select “Add FileMaker Data Source” click on the remote Button and point to the server like you have been doing. Save your script close this file

When you open this file, it will open the remote file, then close itself.

The other way does require the server IP address or machine name of the server on the network, but is simply a internet shortcut to the file on the server. See http://www.filemaker.com/12help/html/sharing_data.16.7.html for an explanation.

HTH,

Tim

• 6. Re: Opener file
                    maggiexu888

I don’t understand how and where to create the scripts.

I understand where script triggers it is.

I understand the opener file does nothing

Thanks!

Margaret Xu

650-721-5479

• 7. Re: Opener file
                      maggiexu888

Can you show an example for URL?

servername\fm.exe?

Thanks!

Margaret Xu

650-721-5479

• 8. Re: Opener file
                        timwhisenant

An example url would look like

fmp://yourUserName:YourPWord@192.168.1.1/Menu_.fmp12

In windows, @ desktop Right click choose new shortcut the above is the location, then finish the required prompts and viola you have a url shortcut to the hosted file.

User and pw are optional, if left off file will validate as usual.

HTH

Tim

• 9. Re: Opener file
                          Stephen Huston

I decided to post an Opener File which can be modified quickly to open any remote file.

It opens automatically with the Admin account (blank password), and needs two modifications to work as it should:

• First, it needs to have its data source repointed to the correct server address and file name using the File Menu's Manage...>External Data Sources... option, to update the targetFile location

manageDataSources.png

• Second, it needs to have the script "Open Remote FileMaker" checked or updated to make sure it now points to the updated external data file reference you just fixed in the previous step, then
                          • Third, it needs to have the File menu> File Options updated to run the correct scripts at opening and closing:

FileOptions.png

Once you have made these changes, it will work as an opener. It will no longer stay open if you need to edit it, and it will generate an error message if the file path is incorrect or if the FM server connection is not working.

To open it for editing once you have activated it as above, you must hold down the Option/Alt-Command-Control keys (modifier keys = 28) when opening the file, to bypass it automatically closing and running everything as programmed. If you need the login, it is

Account "Admin" (Password is empty/blank),

but be sure you are holding down the correct 3 keys AS you click the Open button to stop it from running the triggered scripts and closing right away.

Enjoy.

• 10. Re: Opener file
                            Stephen Huston

No user name or password should be used in the remote address, or the opener will only use those specific credentials for all users. Let each person enter their correct credentials as the server file opens.

• 11. Re: Opener file
                              maggiexu888

Steven:

Thank you very much, I will give a try tomrorow and let you know

• 12. Re: Opener file
                                fshcm13

Here are the script steps that we tie to an "On File Open" script (and you can obviously add more to it...this is just a very simple script that will get the job done):

Go to layout<launcher> //(this is the layout we use to host the launcher - it's just a splash screen with a company logo

Show/Hide Toolbars (Hide)

Adjust Window (Resize to Fit)

Move/Resize Window (Current Window; Top: (get(WindowDesktopHeight)/4- (get(WindowContentHeight)/4); Left: (get(WindowDesktopWidth)/2-                    (get(WindowContentWidth)/2)

Pause/Resume Script (Duration (Seconds): 5)

OpenFile (Name of Remote File)

Close File (current File)

Hope this helps. 

• 13. Re: Opener file
                                  maggiexu888

I trully appreciated all your replies.

I am really  new to File Maker (never use it) but just bear with me:

Do you mean this is the script (below) from fshcm13 posting ? Where do I need to paste this to? In FM pro 12?

Go to layout<launcher> //(this is the layout we use to host the launcher - it's just a splash screen with a company logo

Show/Hide Toolbars (Hide)

Adjust Window (Resize to Fit)

Move/Resize Window (Current Window; Top: (get(WindowDesktopHeight)/4- (get(WindowContentHeight)/4); Left: (get(WindowDesktopWidth)/2-                    (get(WindowContentWidth)/2)

Pause/Resume Script (Duration (Seconds): 5)

OpenFile (Name of Remote File)

Close File (current File)

• 14. Re: Opener file
                                    maggiexu888

I really like Steven's step by step instrucstion as a newbie to FIleMaker but I cannot find Modifierkey = 28 or Option/Alt +Ctrl , where is the option key?

Where to find the old FM pro 9's script on a local PC?

What is the script name of FM pro 9?

How to convert them if I find one?

1 2 3 Previous Next