4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2013 6:38 PM by submarine

Moving to new server

submarine

We are planning to move FMSA v12 hosting to a more powerful server and I have prepared a sequence of to-do list to ensure everything is covered and done in the correct order.

Our migration includes installing FMSA v12 30-days trial to the new server and will only move the license to the new machine when everything is tested.

We intend to swap the IPs of the 2 machines, so that our users' links in IWP and FM GO are not required to change.

Has anyone of you gone through the same migration? Or is there anyone can help to comment on the sequence?

I am not sure about the restrictions and number of databases the trial version can host and whether the license should be activated before or after the IPs swapping.

Before Day 1

Prepare the new server:

• Open ports in firewall (see here page 9)
      • Enable Internet Information Services (IIS)
      • Test IIS
      • Install FMS12.0v4 trial to the new server
      • Test installation (see here page 40)
      • Transfer plug-ins (database and IWP)

Day 1

Backup old server (see here page 54):

• Save schedules and admin groups setting
      • Jot down existing FMS settings
      • Stop FMS
      • Make copy of databases (save as copy to pack remote containers)
      • Make copy of IWP custom log in pages
      • Make copy of documents in SuperContainer

Move to new server:

• Restart FMS and IWP
      • Move databases and script file
      • Upload saved schedules and admin groups setting
      • Configure FMS settings
      • Swap IPs of the 2 servers
      • Open databases
      • Transfer IWP custom log in pages
      • Transfer documents from SuperContainer
      • Check whether daily backup is done
      • Test databases on FM Pro, GO and IWP

Day 2

Test again:

• Update plug-ins
      • Restart FMS and IWP
      • Test databases on FM Pro, GO and IWP

Clear old server:

• Uninstall FMS
      • Move license to the new server

• 1. Re: Moving to new server
          psijmons

Just a few minor additions:

• you can install SuperContainer on d-1, reboot the new server, test superocntainer

• as soon as you have made a copy of the databases, you can close the old FMSA (using terminal commands, not uninstall) to release the license key

• complete the license on the new server and set allowwed nr of connections

If something fails, just stop FMSA on the new machine and restart FMSA on the olde machine, there should not be a license conflict.

succes.

• 2. Re: Moving to new server
            wimdecorte

Swap the IPs before starting FMS and IWP on the new server.  FMS does not like an IP change while it is running.

• 3. Re: Moving to new server
              submarine

psijmons wrote:

• as soon as you have made a copy of the databases, you can close the old FMSA (using terminal commands, not uninstall) to release the license key

• complete the license on the new server and set allowwed nr of connections

Hi psijmons,

Does 'closing the old FMSA' mean stopping (Server > Stop Database Server) it?

Do you also mean that I can enter the same license key to the new server as long as only one server is active? If the new server fails, I can simply stop it and start the old ones?

• 4. Re: Moving to new server
                submarine

Hi wim,

Should I swap the IPs even before IIS is installed on the day before Day 1? I guess IIS needs to know the IP too.

Minimise the downtime is one of our prioprities and initially I thought I can limit the downtime to Day 1.